Is AdS/CFT geometric or quantum?

In summary, there has been debate on the AdS/CFT correspondence and a request for a peer-reviewed paper to clarify the matter. Two papers (arXiv:0909.0518 and arXiv:1010.6134) discuss the duality between quantum field theories and gravity, with evidence supporting an exact statement. The variable N refers to the size of a matrix and \mathcal{N} describes a property of a supersymmetric QFT. D and d are typically used to refer to spacetime dimension, but notation can vary.
Michael77
Hi everyone, long time lurker first time poster. There's been a some debate here on AdS/CFT and I can't resolve the facts of the matter. I have read Maldacena's large-N paper but of course there is no mention of AdS/CFT in there. The reason I'm posting is because I was hoping someone could share a peer-reviewed paper which clears this up instead of just sharing an opinion. Are there any AdS/CFT topical review papers that anyone knows?

Physics news on Phys.org
When N is large, the bulk is very close to classical gravity which is spacetime geometry.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0909.0518

"(a) Some ordinary quantum field theories (QFTs) are secretly quantum theories of gravity.
(b) Sometimes the gravity theory is classical, and therefore we can use it to compute interesting observables of the QFT."

http://arxiv.org/abs/1010.6134

"The equality means a one-to-one mapping of the spectra, at any given value of the energy and other quantum numbers. It also includes equality of observables, namely the correlation functions of operators with an appropriate dictionary between the two sides."

"It is sometimes asserted that the evidence supports only a weak form of the duality, but it is not clear what a sensible weak form would be. Suggestions include ...

Thus, by far the simplest way to account for all the facts is that the duality is an exact statement. Of course, we only have an explicit construction of the theory on the QFT side, so I mean that the QFT must agree with all of the approximations we have to the string theory, and with any future constructions of the theory. Anyway, the QFT is fully quantum mechanical and consistent, and as we have noted it includes all the graviton states (with the right trilinear interactions), so at the very least it is some theory of quantum gravity."

Last edited:
Thanks, I have seen that McGreevy paper but I didn't read it. Both of these papers look helpful, thanks a lot. Can you please help clear one other thing for me? When I try to read these papers I am often confused by D, d and N. What is the convention for these variables?

The large N is the size of a matrix (eg. http://arxiv.org/abs/0909.0518 p14). There is another [itex]\mathcal{N}[/itex] that is used to describe a property of a particular supersymmetric QFT as in [itex]\mathcal{N}=4[/itex] (eg. http://arxiv.org/abs/0909.0518 p54). I think D and d are usually used to refer to the spacetime dimension. But notation can vary, since it's just a matter of convention.

Related to Is AdS/CFT geometric or quantum?

1. What is AdS/CFT and why is it important in physics?

AdS/CFT (Anti-de Sitter/Conformal Field Theory) is a theoretical framework that describes the relationship between two seemingly different theories - a gravitational theory in anti-de Sitter space (a type of curved spacetime) and a quantum field theory living on the boundary of that space. It is important in physics because it provides a powerful tool for understanding the connections between quantum mechanics and gravity.

2. Is AdS/CFT a geometric or quantum theory?

AdS/CFT is a duality between two theories, one being a gravitational theory (geometric) and the other a quantum field theory (quantum). So, it can be considered both a geometric and a quantum theory.

3. What are the main differences between AdS/CFT and other quantum gravity theories?

The main difference between AdS/CFT and other quantum gravity theories is that it provides a concrete and well-defined framework for connecting a quantum theory with a gravitational theory. Other theories, such as string theory, also aim to unify quantum mechanics and gravity, but they are still in the process of being fully developed and tested.

4. How does AdS/CFT relate to the holographic principle?

The holographic principle states that all the information about a region of space can be described by a theory living on the boundary of that space. AdS/CFT is an example of this principle, where the quantum field theory living on the boundary of anti-de Sitter space contains all the information about the gravitational theory in the bulk of that space.

5. Can AdS/CFT be tested experimentally?

Currently, there is no experimental evidence for AdS/CFT, but there are ongoing efforts to test its predictions. For example, experiments at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) are searching for evidence of extra dimensions, which is a key prediction of AdS/CFT. Additionally, the duality has been used to make successful predictions in condensed matter systems, providing indirect evidence for its validity.