Is A Comeback Realistic? (Undergrad)

• Thread starter JH.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Undergrad
In summary, the person is considering returning to an engineering degree after a year of nursing and is worried about being able to mathically handle the classes required. They mention taking calculus in high school and college, and having done so in the past, but lack of use over the last few years is a potential issue. They also mention that they don't know how much math they would need to start from scratch, worrying that it would be a difficult process. However, they have a game plan in case it is too difficult and advise starting from square one if necessary.
JH.
Here's the situation: I started working on an engineering degree right out of high school but I left to pursue nursing after 3 semesters. After a semester in nursing I'm considering returning to the sciences by working toward a B.S. in physics, starting Spring 2014 (I need to give nursing one more semester).

The problem: I've been out of the math game for a while now, and I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to handle (mathematically) the classes that I would take my first semester back (classical mechanics, electromagnetic theory, mathematical methods in physics).

My mathematical experience: I took calculus 1 and 2 in high school (received AP credit), and then took calculus 3 (C) and differential equations (A) my freshman year of college. I also took calculus-based physics 1 & 2 (both A's). I've never felt like I was great at math, but I have always made decent grades, with the exception of calculus 3.

So, in short, it will be around 2 years since I've taken (or used) any relevant math when/if I start back with classes like mechanics. Can it be done? Should it? Has anyone else done it? Any advice is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know better than anyone how much you remember. Two years is not that long some people come back after twenty or longer. Just start reviewing and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice. That's basically what I was thinking too, just start reviewing and go from there. That's my game plan if I decide to go this route. The problem is that I don't know how far back to begin, or even if reviewing on my own will be enough in the end. I feel like I would be starting from square 1, honestly. I know I've taken all the pure math that is required for mechanics, em theory, etc.; I just don't know how much I've retained, especially after two years without it.

Related to Is A Comeback Realistic? (Undergrad)

1. Is there scientific evidence to support the possibility of a comeback?

Yes, there is evidence that suggests that comebacks are possible. Research has shown that individuals who have experienced setbacks or failures are more likely to succeed in the future due to increased motivation and determination.

2. What factors contribute to a successful comeback?

There are several factors that can contribute to a successful comeback, such as having a strong support system, setting realistic goals, and staying persistent and resilient in the face of challenges.

3. Can anyone make a successful comeback, or are there certain traits or characteristics that are necessary?

While anyone can make a successful comeback, there are certain traits that can increase the likelihood of success. These include having a growth mindset, being adaptable, and being willing to learn from past mistakes.

4. How long does it typically take for a successful comeback to occur?

The duration of a successful comeback can vary depending on individual circumstances. It could take weeks, months, or even years to achieve a successful comeback. It's important to be patient and persistent in the process.

5. Can a comeback be sustainable in the long term?

Yes, a comeback can be sustainable in the long term if the individual continues to maintain the necessary traits and behaviors that contributed to their initial success. It's important to continually assess and adjust goals and strategies to maintain long-term success.