Irrational and rational numbers

In summary: But just to be clear, the question is about proving that there are infinitely many rational numbers between two different irrational numbers, and that there are infinitely many irrational numbers between two different rational numbers.
Dustinsfl
Show that there are infinitely many rational numbers between two different irrational numbers and vice versa.

So I started as such:
WLOG let $a,b$ be irrational numbers such that $a<b$. By theorem (not sure if there is a name for it), we know that there exist a rational number $x$ such that $a<x<b$.

If I can show there is another irrational between $a$ and $b$, I could then use the fact that between every two rational numbers there is a rational number and repeated applications would show that there are infinitely many.

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
Show that there are infinitely many rational numbers between two different irrational numbers and vice versa.

So I started as such:
WLOG let $a,b$ be irrational numbers such that $a<b$. By theorem (not sure if there is a name for it), we know that there exist a rational number $x$ such that $a<x<b$.

If I can show there is another irrational between $a$ and $b$, I could then use the fact that between every two rational numbers there is a rational number and repeated applications would show that there are infinitely many.

Hi dwsmith, :)

I would argue it like this. Let \(a\) and \(b\) be two different irrational numbers and suppose that there are only a finite number of rational numbers in-between \(a\) and \(b\). So we have,

\[a<x_{0}<x_{1}<\cdots<x_{n}<b\]

where \(x_{0}<x_{1}<\cdots<x_{n}\) are rational numbers. Now there is no rational number between, \(a\) and \(x_{0}\) which leads to a contradiction since http://www.proofwiki.org/wiki/Between_Every_Two_Reals_Exists_a_Rational that between any two real numbers there exist a rational number.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Let $a$ and $b$ be two different irrational numbers.
Suppose there are only a finite number of rational numbers between $a$ and $b$.
$$
a < x_1 < x_2 < x_3 < \cdots < x_n < b\quad\text{where} \ x_i\in\mathbb{Q}
$$
We know that between any two rational numbers there exists another rational number.
So
$$
a < x_1 < y_1 < x_2 < \cdots < y_{n - 1} < x_n < b
$$
where $y_i = \frac{x_i + x_{i + 1}}{2}\in\mathbb{Q}$.
We can continue this process indefinitely; furthermore, the rational numbers in $(a,b)\sim\mathbb{Z}^+$.
Hence, they cannot be finite.

dwsmith said:
Let $a$ and $b$ be two different irrational numbers.
Suppose there are only a finite number of rational numbers between $a$ and $b$.
$$
a < x_1 < x_2 < x_3 < \cdots < x_n < b\quad\text{where} \ x_i\in\mathbb{Q}
$$
We know that between any two rational numbers there exists another rational number.
So
$$
a < x_1 < y_1 < x_2 < \cdots < y_{n - 1} < x_n < b
$$
where $y_i = \frac{x_i + x_{i + 1}}{2}\in\mathbb{Q}$.
We can continue this process indefinitely; furthermore, the rational numbers in $(a,b)\sim\mathbb{Z}^+$.
Hence, they cannot be finite.

Hi dwsmith, :)

When you assume "there are only a finite number of rational numbers between $a$ and $b$" there is also the possibility that you have only one rational number in between $a$ and $b$. I think this case is not covered in your proof.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

What about saying that the rationals are dense in the reals so between (a,b) there are infinitely many rationals?

dwsmith said:
This is a ridiculous question.
The fundamental theorem is: Between any two numbers there is a rational number.
If $a<b$ then $\exists x_1\in\mathbb{Q}$ such that $a<x_1<b$.
Thus if $n>1$ then $\exists x_{n+1}\in\mathbb{Q}$ such that $x_n<x_{n+1}<b$

Dont shoot the messenger. I didn't create the question.

Related to Irrational and rational numbers

What is the difference between irrational and rational numbers?

Rational numbers are numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, while irrational numbers are numbers that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. Irrational numbers are non-terminating and non-repeating decimals, while rational numbers are either terminating or repeating decimals.

How do you determine if a number is rational or irrational?

A number is rational if it can be written as a fraction, while it is irrational if it cannot be written as a fraction. One way to determine if a number is irrational is to check if it is a non-terminating and non-repeating decimal. Another way is to use the square root test, where if a number has a non-perfect square root, then it is irrational.

What are some examples of irrational numbers?

Some common examples of irrational numbers include pi (3.141592...), the square root of 2 (1.414213...), and Euler's number (2.718281...). These numbers cannot be expressed as a fraction and have decimals that do not terminate or repeat.

Can irrational numbers be negative?

Yes, irrational numbers can be negative. For example, -√2 is an irrational number, as it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers and has a non-terminating and non-repeating decimal.

Why do we need both irrational and rational numbers?

Irrational and rational numbers are both important in mathematics and have different applications. Rational numbers are useful for representing quantities such as fractions and probabilities, while irrational numbers are essential for solving problems in geometry and trigonometry. Together, they form the real number system, which is necessary for many mathematical operations and calculations.