Inverse of a Matrix: Find Solution for A

In summary, the inverse of a matrix is a matrix that when multiplied by the original matrix, returns the original matrix.
Buffu

Homework Statement

Find the inverse of
##A = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & \dfrac12 & & \cdots && \dfrac1n
\\\dfrac12 & \dfrac13 && \cdots && \dfrac1{n+1}
\\ \vdots & \vdots && && \vdots
\\ \dfrac1n & \dfrac1{n+1} && \cdots && \dfrac1{2n-1}\end{bmatrix}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I obvserved that ##A_{ij} = \dfrac{1}{i+j-1}##.

Also I know ##I = AA^{-1}##

So jth column of ##I## is ##A## times jth column of ##A^{-1}##

So for ##j = 1##

##A \times \begin{bmatrix}A^{-1}_{11} \\ \vdots \\ A^{-1}_{n1}\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ \vdots\\0 \end{bmatrix}##.

Now I don't know what to do. Any clue.

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
This might help:

I know how to take inverse just I don't know how to do that in case of matrix like this.

I don't see where you're confused. The procedure is the same. Is it that the answer is just wrong?

jedishrfu said:
I don't see where you're confused. The procedure is the same. Is it that the answer is just wrong?

Ok, I tried something,

I did ##A_i \to A_i - \dfrac1i A_1##, where ##A_1, A_i## are the rows.

I got,
##\begin{bmatrix} 1 & \dfrac12 & & \cdots && \dfrac1n
\\ 0 & \dfrac13 - \dfrac12 && \cdots && \dfrac1{n+1} - \dfrac1n
\\ 0 & \dfrac1{n+1} - \dfrac1n && \cdots && \dfrac1{2n-1} - \dfrac1n^2\end{bmatrix} =

\begin{bmatrix} 1 & \dfrac12 & & \cdots && \dfrac1n
\\ 0 & \dfrac1{12} && \cdots && \dfrac1{n+1} - \dfrac1n
\\ \vdots & \vdots && && \vdots\\
0 & \dfrac{i -1}{2i(i + 1)} && && \vdots\\
\vdots & \vdots &&&& \vdots \\
\\ 0 & \dfrac{n-1}{2n(n+1)} && \cdots && \dfrac1{2n-1} - \dfrac1n^2\end{bmatrix}
##

See it is very messy and I don't know what to do now.

Buffu said:

Homework Statement

Find the inverse of
##A = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & \dfrac12 & & \cdots && \dfrac1n
\\\dfrac12 & \dfrac13 && \cdots && \dfrac1{n+1}
\\ \dfrac1n & \dfrac1{n+1} && \cdots && \dfrac1{2n-1}\end{bmatrix}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I obvserved that ##A_{ij} = \dfrac{1}{i+j-1}##.

Google "inverse of special matrix".

Ray Vickson said:
Google "inverse of special matrix".

Can you provide the link to the site, I searched the first page of Google but nothing matches.

Buffu said:
Can you provide the link to the site, I searched the first page of Google but nothing matches.

Have you looked at all the other articles? I found several, just by searching as I suggested to you.

Ray Vickson said:
Have you looked at all the other articles? I found several, just by searching as I suggested to you.
Yes I have looked at each and every article on the first page.

What's the purpose of this exercise? This is clearly a very special instance of a Hankel matrix which has its own name...

Buffu said:
Yes I have looked at each and every article on the first page.

The Wikipedia article has all you need. Look at the entry for "Cauchy Matrix".

Or, just work a few small cases, like ## 2 \times 2 , 3\times 3 ## and come up with an educated guess.

Related to Inverse of a Matrix: Find Solution for A

1. What is an inverse matrix?

An inverse matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. It can also be thought of as the "opposite" of the original matrix, as it undoes the effects of the original matrix when multiplied together.

2. Why is finding the inverse of a matrix important?

Finding the inverse of a matrix is important because it allows us to solve systems of linear equations, which are a fundamental tool in many areas of science and mathematics. It also allows us to perform operations such as division on matrices, which is not possible without an inverse.

3. How do you find the inverse of a matrix?

To find the inverse of a matrix, there are a few different methods depending on the size and complexity of the matrix. One method is to use the Gauss-Jordan elimination algorithm, which involves manipulating the matrix using elementary row operations until it is in reduced row echelon form. Another method is to use the adjugate matrix method, which involves finding the determinant of the matrix and using it to calculate the elements of the inverse matrix.

4. Can all matrices be inverted?

No, not all matrices have an inverse. A matrix must be square (meaning it has the same number of rows and columns) and have a non-zero determinant in order for it to be invertible. If the determinant is zero, the matrix is singular and does not have an inverse.

5. How can the inverse of a matrix be used to solve systems of equations?

To solve a system of equations using the inverse of a matrix, we can set up the system in matrix form and then multiply both sides by the inverse of the coefficient matrix. This will result in the variable matrix on one side and the solution matrix on the other side, allowing us to easily solve for the variables. This method is often faster and more accurate than traditional methods of solving systems of equations, especially when dealing with larger systems.