Inverse Matrix and Composition of Matrices: Solving Homework Problems

In summary: Also, without any definitions for Rij(k) and Tij, we can't do anything with them either.In summary, the problem presents a matrix and asks for its inverse. The solution for part (a) is provided. Part (b) asks to write the original matrix and its inverse as a composition of matrices of the form Rij(k), Tij, and D22(k). Without definitions for these notations, it is impossible to complete part (b).
teme92

Homework Statement

a) Find the inverse of the matrix:
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}1 & 2 & 0\\
2 & 0 & 1\\
1 & 1 & 2\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

(sorry I don't know how to show a matrix more clearly on this)

b) Write A and A-1 as a composition of matrices of the form Rij(k), Tij and D22(k)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've done part (a) and ended up with the inverse as:

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}1/7 & 4/7 & -2/7\\
3/7 & -2/7 & 1/7\\
-2/7 & -1/7 & 4/7\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

(sorry again)

My problem is, I don't understand part (b). Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Code:
[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 2 & 3 & 4\\
a & b & c & d\\
x & y & z & w
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]
yields
[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 2 & 3 & 4\\
a & b & c & d\\
x & y & z & w
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

When you say "I don't understand part (b)" does that mean that you don't know what is meant with Rij(k), Tij and D22(k) ?

Hey BvU,

Thanks for showing me that, I've edited it there now so it should be easier to read. Yes, I don't understand that. I also don't understand what it means when it say wrote them as a composition. Thanks for the help again

Oops, caught with my pants down. I don't know either.:redface:
So now you will have to find out what is meant. Do you have a syllabus or a textbook ?

Composition is easy to find, though: ##(T \circ S) (x) \equiv T(S(x))##

I don't know what these are, either. Please show us how these are defined: Rij(k), Tij and D22(k).

(Shouldn't that last one be D33(k)?)

It's ok at least you tried to help :). I don't have a textbook or a particular syllabus no. I'm doing past exam questions for my Linear Algebra course and I came across this

And Mark44, its says 22 in the question.

teme92 said:
It's ok at least you tried to help :). I don't have a textbook or a particular syllabus no. I'm doing past exam questions for my Linear Algebra course and I came across this
Without knowing what the notation means, there's no way we can help you with this problem.

teme92 said:
And Mark44, its says 22 in the question.
We don't have enough information to determine whether D22(k) is a typo or even what it means, if it's not a typo.

Related to Inverse Matrix and Composition of Matrices: Solving Homework Problems

1. What is matrix composition?

Matrix composition is a mathematical operation that involves combining two or more matrices to create a new matrix. This is achieved by multiplying the matrices together in a specific order, where the number of columns in the first matrix matches the number of rows in the second matrix.

2. How is matrix composition different from matrix multiplication?

Matrix composition is a form of matrix multiplication, but it involves combining multiple matrices rather than just two. In matrix composition, the order of the matrices is important, while in regular matrix multiplication, the order does not matter as long as the dimensions are compatible.

3. What is the result of matrix composition?

The result of matrix composition is a new matrix that is formed by multiplying the individual elements of the matrices according to a specific rule. The dimensions of the new matrix will depend on the dimensions of the original matrices.

4. Why is matrix composition important?

Matrix composition is important in various fields of mathematics, such as linear algebra and statistics. It allows us to represent and manipulate complex data in a concise and efficient manner. It is also used in computer graphics and machine learning algorithms.

5. What are some properties of matrix composition?

Matrix composition is associative, meaning that the order in which the matrices are multiplied does not affect the final result. However, it is not commutative, which means that changing the order of the matrices will result in a different final matrix. Additionally, the identity matrix serves as the identity element for matrix composition.