In summary, the claim that the acceleration for any object is the same in any inertial reference frame is true for proper acceleration but not true for coordinate acceleration. The concept of proper acceleration is usually introduced in the study of special relativity, and the acceleration is only the same in all inertial frames in classical mechanics. However, this statement may not hold true when relativistic effects are taken into consideration. Reference to equations in special relativity can be used to calculate the acceleration, and the direction of the acceleration vector may not change in certain cases. Further research and investigation is recommended to fully understand and verify this claim.
0pt618
Claim: The acceleration (both direction and magnitude) for any object is the same in any inertial reference frame.

Is this claim true? I think it is, but someone mentioned to me that time may be an issue as it's not agreed upon in all inertial reference frames.

I'd appreciate any references, if available.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you look up the equations in special relativity and calculate it yourself? My calculation suggests that this statement is wrong, but don't take my words for it, my math is rusted.
$$a{\rm{'}} = \sqrt {1 - {{{v^2}} \over {{c^2}}}} {(1 - {{vu} \over {{c^2}}})^{ - 3}}a$$

Thanks Xu Shuang for your reply. It's been a long time ago since I studied special relativity. But from your equation, it seems if the velocities are all much less than the velocity of light, then the statement would be valid, correct?

0pt618 said:
Is this claim true? I

It is true for proper acceleration but not true for coordinate acceleration.
Wars have been fought and cities razed to the ground because someone made a statement about acceleration without qualifying whether they meant coordinate or proper acceleration, so it's not surprising that you're finding some disagreement.

The concept of proper acceleration is usually introduced when you first study special relativity, so this thread maybe belongs in the relativity forum.

Likes PeterDonis
Since this thread was originally not in the relativity forum, I think it is worth pointing out that the acceleration is the same in all inertial frames in classical mechanics. It is only when relativistic effects become important when this is no longer true. But as Xu said, you should not take anyone's word for this either, you can simply derive the relation yourself based on the Galilei transformations.

Xu Shuang said:
My calculation suggests that this statement is wrong, but don't take my words for it, my math is rusted.
$$a{\rm{'}} = \sqrt {1 - {{{v^2}} \over {{c^2}}}} {(1 - {{vu} \over {{c^2}}})^{ - 3}}a$$

Is this only for the x-component or for all 3 components?

Does this mean that the direction of the acceleration vector doesn't change?

greswd said:
Is this only for the x-component or for all 3 components?

Does this mean that the direction of the acceleration vector doesn't change?
This is just x component. 4-dimensional space-time is too much for my math.

Xu Shuang said:
This is just x component. 4-dimensional space-time is too much for my math.

I think it should be

$$a{\rm{'}} = (\sqrt {1 - {{{v^2}} \over {{c^2}}}})^{3} {(1 - {{vu} \over {{c^2}}})^{ - 3}}a$$

greswd said:
I think it should be

$$a{\rm{'}} = (\sqrt {1 - {{{v^2}} \over {{c^2}}}})^{3} {(1 - {{vu} \over {{c^2}}})^{ - 3}}a$$
Are you sure? It was a full paper of calculation.

Xu Shuang said:
Are you sure? It was a full paper of calculation.

Quite sure.

0pt618 said:
I'd appreciate any references, if available.
I've been meaning to take a closer look at this for a while, it seems to be fairly exhaustive and correct (I went through it once without taking it in properly).

Likes 0pt618
greswd said:
I think it should be

I did it again, yours is right.

Likes 0pt618

Related to Invariance of Acceleration in Inertial Reference Frames

1. What does the principle of invariance of acceleration in inertial reference frames state?

The principle of invariance of acceleration in inertial reference frames states that the acceleration of an object remains constant regardless of the observer's reference frame, as long as the frame is not accelerating or rotating.

2. How does this principle relate to Newton's laws of motion?

The principle of invariance of acceleration is a fundamental concept in Newton's laws of motion. It is directly related to the first law, which states that an object will maintain its state of motion unless acted upon by an external force. Invariance of acceleration ensures that the state of motion remains unchanged regardless of the reference frame.

3. What is an inertial reference frame?

An inertial reference frame is a frame of reference that is not accelerating or rotating. In other words, it is a frame that is not experiencing any net external forces. This includes frames that are at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

4. Can there be multiple inertial reference frames in the same system?

Yes, there can be multiple inertial reference frames in the same system. This is because the principle of invariance of acceleration applies to all inertial frames, regardless of their relative motion to each other. This is an important concept in the theory of relativity.

5. How is the principle of invariance of acceleration used in practical applications?

The principle of invariance of acceleration is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of spacecraft and navigation systems. It allows for accurate measurements and predictions of motion, regardless of the observer's frame of reference. It also plays a crucial role in the understanding of the laws of motion and the behavior of objects in space.