Intro to Linear Algebra - Nullspace of Rank 1 Matrix

In summary: Is the problem statement correct? In summary, the nullspace is a plane in R^n, but the nullspace isn't an n-1 dimensional space within R^n.
fractalizard
Homework Statement
Given A is a mxn matrix with rank 1, the nullspace is a _____ in R^n.
Relevant Equations
N(A) = Linear combination of "special solutions" to A
The published solutions indicate that the nullspace is a plane in R^n. Why isn't the nullspace an n-1 dimensional space within R^n? For example, if I understand things correctly, the 1x2 matrix [1 2] would have a nullspace represented by any linear combination of the vector (-2,1), which would be a line.

Physics news on Phys.org
An [itex](n-1)[/itex] dimensional subspace in [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] is analagous to a plane in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex]: they are given by an equation of the form [itex]\mathbf{x} \cdot \mathbf{n} = 0[/itex].

fractalizard said:
Homework Statement: Given A is a mxn matrix with rank 1, the nullspace is a _____ in R^n.
Relevant Equations: N(A) = Linear combination of "special solutions" to A

The published solutions indicate that the nullspace is a plane in R^n.
That sounds wrong. Are you sure that you copied the problem statement exactly? The problem statement or the book answer might have a typo. Or the book might just need some more proofreading. It's very hard to eliminate all errors from a book.
fractalizard said:
Why isn't the nullspace an n-1 dimensional space within R^n?
It is. You can verify the properties of a subspace.

fractalizard said:
Homework Statement: Given A is a mxn matrix with rank 1, the nullspace is a _____ in R^n.
Relevant Equations: N(A) = Linear combination of "special solutions" to A

The published solutions indicate that the nullspace is a plane in R^n. Why isn't the nullspace an n-1 dimensional space within R^n? For example, if I understand things correctly, the 1x2 matrix [1 2] would have a nullspace represented by any linear combination of the vector (-2,1), which would be a line.
Perhaps the authors of the solution meant that the nullspace was a hyperplane; an object of dimension one less than that of ##\mathbb R^n##.

For a 2x2 matrix of rank 1, the domain is ##\mathbb R^2## and the nullspace is of dimension 1, so the nullspace is a line in ##\mathbb R^2##.

For a 3x4 matrix of rank 1, the domain is ##\mathbb R^4## and the nullspace is of dimension 3, so the nullspace is a hyperplane in ##\mathbb R^4##.

Likes jim mcnamara and mathwonk
Wow, this place is great - thanks for the quick replies. I suspected that this might be an error in the solution. FYI, my posted problem statement was only the piece of the original problem that I was having trouble with, here is the full problem statement:

40 only.png
And from the solution manual:

40 answer.png

The highlighted line is the piece I am having trouble understanding, the rest of the solution makes sense to me.

fractalizard said:
The highlighted line is the piece I am having trouble understanding, the rest of the solution makes sense to me.

As I stated above, every [itex](n - 1)[/itex] dimensional subspace is [tex]\{ \mathbf{x} \in \mathbb{R}^n: \mathbf{x} \cdot \mathbf{a} = x_1a_1 + \cdots + x_na_n = 0\}[/tex] for some [itex]\mathbf{a} \neq 0[/itex]. This is analagous to a plane in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex]. In higher dimensions one might more properly call it a hyperplane.

fractalizard said:
And from the solution manual:

View attachment 326075
Hi @fractalizard. Welcome to PF.

In addition to the other excellent replies I’d like to add a (non-mathematician's) example which might help.

Say ##A## is a ##4 \times 4## matrix. If the rank = 1 then any row is a scalar multiple of any other row, For example:

##A = \begin {bmatrix}
a&b&c&d \\
3a&3b&3c&3d\\
-2a&-2b&-2c&-2d\\
4a&4b&4c&4d
\end{bmatrix}##

So in this example we have rows: ##R_2=3R_1, ~R_3= -2R_1## and ##R_4 =4R_1##.

Take the vector ##\textbf {x}=\begin {bmatrix} x_1\\x_2\\x_3\\x_4 \end {bmatrix}##

##A \textbf {x}=\begin {bmatrix}
R_1\cdot \textbf {x}\\
3R_1\cdot \textbf {x}\\
-2R_1\cdot \textbf {x}\\
4R_1\cdot \textbf {x}
\end {bmatrix}##

To make ##A \textbf {x}=0 ## (i.e. for ##\textbf {x}## to be in A’s null space) we require only that ##R_1\cdot \textbf {x} = 0##.

This gives the required ‘single equation’ (mentioned in the soution manual): ##ax_1 + bx_2 + cx_3 + dx_4= 0##

This equation defines a ‘plane’ in ##\mathbb R^n##. Though, as already has been said, for n>3 the term ‘hyperplane’ could be used to avoid confusion with 2D planes. (Also, note that for n = 2, the so-called ‘plane’ would a line!)

pasmith said:
As I stated above, every [itex](n - 1)[/itex] dimensional subspace is [tex]\{ \mathbf{x} \in \mathbb{R}^n: \mathbf{x} \cdot \mathbf{a} = x_1a_1 + \cdots + x_na_n = 0\}[/tex] for some [itex]\mathbf{a} \neq 0[/itex]. This is analagous to a plane in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex]. In higher dimensions one might more properly call it a hyperplane.

The same way a line is always 1 dimension, I would think of a plane with no prefix as being 2 dimensions.

Office_Shredder said:
I would think of a plane with no prefix as being 2 dimensions.
This...