Intersection of Lines (Vectors)

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that if two lines intersect, they must lie in the plane ##r.(c \times d) = 0##, where c and d are vectors. The lines intersect at the point ##x = c_1 + d_1, y = c_2 + d_2, z = c_3 + d_3##, and it is assumed that the lines are non-parallel. The lines can be expressed as vector equations and it is shown that all three points lie in the plane, thus demonstrating that the lines must lie in the plane.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Show that if the two lines

##\frac{x - c_1}{d_1} = \frac{y - c_2}{d_2} = \frac{z - c_3}{d_3}## and

##\frac{x - d_1}{c_1} = \frac{x - d_2}{c_2} = \frac{x - d_3}{c_3}##

intersect, they lie in the plane ##r.(c \times d) = 0##

where c = c1i + c2j + c3k and d = d1i + d2j + d3k

The Attempt at a Solution

I've shown that they intersect at ##x = c_1 + d_1, y = c_2 + d_2, z = c_3 + d_3##. It seems intuitively obvious that the lines lie in the plane r.(c x d) = 0, but I just can't seem to properly show this. Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible for the lines to intersect at infinitely many points, for example let ##c_i = d_i = i##. In this case, ##r . (c × d) = 0## isn't a plane. So I think one must assume we are talking about lines that intersect at exactly one point, if at all.

Given this, and assuming your proof is correct that they intersect at c+d if they intersect at all, showing that the points (c, d, c+d) are in that plane will suffice because each line goes through two of those points.

Thanks -- I assume that the lines are non-parallel. All three points lie in the plane.

The question is a little odd. Those two lines necessarily intersect (at x = c+d).
Given an equation like ##\frac{x - c_1}{d_1} = \frac{y - c_2}{d_2} = \frac{z - c_3}{d_3}##, you can set each term to equal some scalar parameter t, then express the line as a vector equation. It should then be obvious that the line lies in the subspace (be it a line or a plane) generated by c and d.

Related to Intersection of Lines (Vectors)

1. What is the intersection point of two lines?

The intersection point of two lines is the point at which the lines meet or cross each other. It is the common point shared by both lines.

2. How do you find the intersection point of two lines?

To find the intersection point of two lines, you can use the method of substitution or elimination. In substitution, you solve one of the equations for a variable and then substitute that value into the other equation to find the value of the other variable. In elimination, you manipulate the equations to get rid of one of the variables and then solve for the remaining variable.

3. Can two lines intersect at more than one point?

No, two lines can only intersect at one point. This is because two lines in a plane cannot be parallel and intersect at the same time.

4. What does it mean if two lines do not intersect?

If two lines do not intersect, it means that they are parallel to each other. This means that they have the same slope and will never meet or cross each other.

5. How is the intersection point of two lines related to their slopes?

The intersection point of two lines is related to their slopes through the equation y = mx + b, where m represents the slope of the line. If two lines have different slopes, they will intersect at one point. If they have the same slope, they will be parallel and never intersect. If one line has a slope of 0, it will be a horizontal line and will intersect with a vertical line at the y-intercept. If both lines have a slope of 0, they will be the same line and will have an infinite number of intersection points.