Intersection of line and plane

In summary, the problem involves finding the common points between a line and a plane, represented by the equations r=i+j+A(2k-j) and r . (i+j) = 4. It is suggested to use the vector equation form r . n = p. Breaking down the components and solving for A gives the values of x, y, and z.
apple53
Intersection of line and plane!

Homework Statement

Okay i to find the common points of line and plane

Question r=i+j+A(2k-j) and r . (i+j) = 4

Homework Equations

I heard that it is easier to use the vector equation in the form r . n = p

The Attempt at a Solution

So if i do that to above

You get

1 0 1

1 + A -1 . 1 =4

0 2 0

The above doesn't sound right i won't get an x, y, z value i defo need help on this or can anyone start my off

kind regards

And also how do you wrap the vectors in brackets on this forum lol

Physics news on Phys.org

apple53 said:

Homework Statement

Okay i to find the common points of line and plane

Question r=i+j+A(2k-j) and r . (i+j) = 4

Homework Equations

I heard that it is easier to use the vector equation in the form r . n = p

The Attempt at a Solution

So if i do that to above

You get

1 0 1

1 + A -1 . 1 =4

0 2 0
It's not clear to me what the first and third lines are but it looks like the second line is almost the result of putting r=i+j+A(2k-j)= i+ (1- A)jk+ 2Ak into the equation r . (i+j) = 4.
Rather than what you have, you should get 1+ (1- A)= 2- A= 4.

Solve That for A, then put that value into the equation of the line.

The above doesn't sound right i won't get an x, y, z value i defo need help on this or can anyone start my off

kind regards

And also how do you wrap the vectors in brackets on this forum lol

Sorry about the way its laid out. your right that's what i have done

i put r=i+j+A(2k-j) into r . (i+j) = 4

which gives me

i+j+A(2k-j) . (i+j) = 4

I tried writing this in vectorial format but don't khow how to get the brackets to wrap i,j,k on this website. If you can help with that i would be gratefull

Anyway to continue on with question we break them down in components. Correct me if I am wrong

1+A(0) . 1=4
1+A(-1) . 1=4
0+A(2) . 0=4

Which is where i got previously. Which is probably wrong

Rather than what you have, you should get 1+ (1- A)= 2- A= 4.

Now to continue with what you did I am trying to work out how you derived the above.

I broke the vector r=i+j+A(2k-j) into its components ready to put the A values in

so you get

1+A(0)=X This gives x=1
1+A(-1)=Y
0+A(2)=Z

Just need to know how you derived A whcih i quotes above. If you did put put r=i+j+A(2k-j) into r . (i+j) = 4 To get the equation i+j+A(2k-j) . (i+j) = 4. And from this you managed to get A. Can you please explain to me step by step please

Thanks for quick reply and Kinds regards

Related to Intersection of line and plane

What is the definition of the intersection of a line and a plane?

The intersection of a line and a plane is the point or set of points where the line and plane meet or overlap. It is the solution to the system of equations that represent the line and the plane.

How many points are in the intersection of a line and a plane?

The intersection of a line and a plane can have zero, one, or an infinite number of points. It depends on the relative position and orientation of the line and the plane.

How do you find the intersection of a line and a plane?

To find the intersection of a line and a plane, you can solve the system of equations representing the line and the plane using algebraic or geometric methods. You can also use vector and parametric equations to find the intersection point.

What is the significance of the intersection of a line and a plane in mathematics?

The intersection of a line and a plane is important in geometry and linear algebra. It helps us understand the relationship between a line and a plane in three-dimensional space and is used in various applications, such as in computer graphics and engineering.

How does the orientation of a line and a plane affect their intersection?

If the line and the plane are parallel, they will not intersect at any point. If the line is perpendicular to the plane, they will intersect at a single point. If the line is skew (neither parallel nor perpendicular) to the plane, they will intersect at a unique point or not at all.