Internal vs external force - conservation of momentum in one dimension

In summary, the problem concerns a collision experiment on a frictionless surface between gliders A and B, with masses m(a) and m(b) respectively. Glider B has a spring-loaded plunger attached to it and at time t(f), glider A moves to the left with a greater speed than at time t(i). The question asks whether the magnitude of the momentum of the system at time t(f) is greater than, less than or equal to the magnitude of the momentum at time t(i). The solution is that the momentum of the system is conserved, as the plunger's force is an internal force and does not affect the total momentum of the system.
letoiledemer

Homework Statement

This problem concerns a collision experiment performed on a frictionless surface with gliders A and B, with masses m(a) and m(b) respectively.

In a level track, glider B has a spring-loaded plunger attached to it. At time t(i), glider A moves to the right with speed v(0), and glider B is at rest. The plunger is initially compressed, and it is released when the gliders come into contact. At time t(f), glider A moves to the left with speed greater than v(0).

Is the magnitude of the momentum of the system of the two gliders at time t(f) greater than, less than or equal to the magnitude of the momentum of the system at time t(i)? Explain.

Homework Equations

F=ma
conservation of momentum : mivi = mfvf

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought that this the momentum of the system at t(f) must be greater than at t(i), because the plunger "pushes" A, adding an extra force to glider A, (this would be the impulse, so change in momentum added to the glider?). But would this force be counted as an internal force versus an external force instead, and so momentum is conserved?

Physics news on Phys.org
The system comprises the two gliders which only "push" against each other, nothing else. You can't make a reactionless rocket so I'd say the total system momentum is the same.

Thanks! That makes sense.

Related to Internal vs external force - conservation of momentum in one dimension

1. What is the difference between internal and external forces?

Internal forces are those that act within a system, such as the forces between molecules or the forces within an object. External forces, on the other hand, act on a system from the outside, such as gravity or a push from another object.

2. How do internal and external forces affect the conservation of momentum in one dimension?

Internal forces do not affect the conservation of momentum in one dimension, as they cancel each other out within a system. However, external forces can change the momentum of a system, either by increasing or decreasing it.

3. Can you give an example of internal and external forces in relation to the conservation of momentum?

An example of internal forces in relation to the conservation of momentum could be a collision between two molecules, where the forces between the molecules cancel out and the total momentum remains constant. An example of external forces could be a car crash, where the external force of friction between the tires and the road can change the momentum of the car.

4. How is the conservation of momentum in one dimension mathematically expressed?

The conservation of momentum in one dimension is expressed as: mv1 + mv2 = mv1' + mv2', where m is the mass and v is the velocity of the two objects before and after a collision or interaction.

5. What is the importance of understanding the conservation of momentum in one dimension?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental law in physics and understanding it is crucial for understanding the motion and interactions of objects. It allows us to predict and explain the outcome of collisions and other interactions between objects, and is essential in fields such as engineering, mechanics, and astrophysics.