Internal forces in members of structure

In summary, the author attempted to solve the problem using a force method, but ended up getting incorrect results because the forces were not equal in the bars.
endy_kami
what are the internal force in the hinged member 1-4?

Attachments

• 1d2d3d4.docx
    12.2 KB · Views: 228
Engineering news on Phys.org
Interesting problem.

I've attached an image that illustrate my thoughts on how to go about solving it.

I'm assuming the beam is "rigid" and the bars all have the same "stiffness."

Take a look at the image.

Finding the bar forces in the first step is trivial, as the structure is symmetric.

Once you've found the bar forces from step 1 and the bar forces from step 2 (based on my attached image), you can sum them to arrive at your solution.

I drew a red arrow pointing at the second step in the process, which I think needs further explanation. You may find example #2 useful on this website: http://utsv.net/mechanics-of-materials/2-statically-indeterminate-structure-axial

Hope that helps

Attachments

• PF.png
    PF.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 482
tx a lot I'll try it

dear afreiden,
I've tried the clue that you've given me
I found N1=0,6P N2=0,3P N3=0,03P N4=0,07P
but the answer should be N1=0,4P N2=0,3P N3=0,2P N4=0,1P (according to the writer)
the writer said use the force method or displacement method or
the matrix stiffness method, any idea?

Show us your work and we can help. Your answer immediately looks wrong to me since I'd expect the forces to be larger in the rods that are nearer to the point of load application. In the author's solution this is indeed the case.

please find attached on how I got to that answer

Attachments

• img-401120154.pdf
    88.1 KB · Views: 177
Your equation that you wrote at the top right of your page (I think it might be labeled (1) ) is definitely wrong.

In general, I see several procedural mistakes.In step 1, all bar forces should be the same.

In step 2:
What is your value of "M" ?
How did you determine that N1=2N2? (I expect to see some axial deformation equations)
Do you understand how I was able to draw that triangle?

Your triangle at the bottom of your page does not make physical sense.

can you show me how to get to the right answer than?

Related to Internal forces in members of structure

1. What are internal forces in members of structure?

Internal forces in members of structure are the forces that act within the structure itself. These forces are typically caused by the external loads placed on the structure and the reactions of the supports. They are important to consider in structural analysis and design as they help determine the strength and stability of the structure.

2. How do internal forces affect the stability of a structure?

Internal forces can cause stress and strain within a structure, which can affect its stability. If the internal forces exceed the strength of the structure, it can result in failure or collapse. Therefore, it is important to consider the internal forces when designing a structure to ensure it can withstand the expected loads and remain stable.

3. What are the different types of internal forces in members of structure?

The three main types of internal forces in members of structure are tension, compression, and shear. Tension is a pulling force that elongates the material, compression is a pushing force that shortens the material, and shear is a sliding force that causes one part of the material to move relative to another part.

4. How do internal forces change within a structure?

Internal forces can change within a structure due to various factors such as changes in external loads, changes in support conditions, and changes in the geometry or material properties of the structure. These changes can result in different internal forces being present at different locations within the structure.

5. How do you calculate internal forces in members of structure?

Internal forces can be calculated using structural analysis methods such as the method of joints, method of sections, or finite element analysis. These methods involve breaking down the structure into smaller sections and analyzing the forces acting on each section to determine the internal forces. Computer software programs are also available that can perform these calculations automatically.