Intensity of Waves: Proportional to y^2/x^4?

In summary: I is directly proportional to A^2 and ii) A is directly proportional to 1/r so, I is directly proportional to (A^2)/r .so, i don't understand why is it wrong. sorry for interrupting again. I = P/2∏r (for circular waves) , so i would get I is directly propotional to (a^2 )/ (r^3 )... since I is directly propotional to a^2 / r but the amplitude = (a/x ) No. That is not logical:You have(1) ##I \propto A^2##(2) ##A=a/x## : "a
desmond iking

Homework Statement

since we know that the intensity of wave is I=P/A P =power, A=area

so I = 0.5m(w^2)(y^2)/4pi (x^2 )

so i got I is directly propotional to (y^2)/ (x^2 )

but there's variable x in the eqaution of y...

so can i say that I is directly propotional to y^2 / x^4 as in the third photo?

p/s : in here y also represnt A .

hopefully you guys can understand .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_20140713_085027[1].jpg
    IMG_20140713_085027[1].jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_20140713_084540[1].jpg
    IMG_20140713_084540[1].jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 864
  • IMG_20140713_085828[1].jpg
    IMG_20140713_085828[1].jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 490
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement (attachment 1) suggests maybe a longitudinal wave (oscillations in the x direction) propagating in the +x direction with equation:

##y=\frac{a}{x}\sin(\omega t -kx)## ... so the amplitude falls off with distance.

You are asked to determine how the intensity of the wave falls off with distance.

You have a model answer (attachment 2) which says $$I\propto\frac{1}{x^2}$$

i.e. your own $$I\propto \frac{y^2}{x^4}$$ is incorrect.

It is a serious mistake to use y to also be A ... you have to be consistent with your notation.
A, in your post, is area. The model answer uses to to mean amplitude, as in ##y=A\sin(\omega t - kx)##

The question is checking that you know that intensity is proportional to the square amplitude of the wave.

Likes 1 person
sorry. now my question is since we know that I is directrly proportional to 1/(x^2) and I also directly proportional to A^2 ... here my A=AMPLITUDE. so i get I is directly proportional to (A^2)/(x^2). since A= (a/x)... after substituting into the equation , i get I is directly proportional to (a^2 )/ (x^4)... why is it wrong?

since we know that I is directrly proportional to 1/(x^2)
... how do you know that?

Simon Bridge said:
... how do you know that?

here.. it's I is directly proportinoal to 1/ r^2 here.

i know it's not logical to say that I is directly proportional to (a^2 )/ (x^4)... but using mathematical treatment , I = 0.5m(w^2)(A^2)s^-1 /4pi (x^2 )... which means the power will be the same at that particular point only the surface area which is perpendicular to the direction of vibration changed, so the intensity change. but after thinking logically, the amplitude at that point should change am i right?what's wrong with the mathematical treatment?

or the amplitude of particle at certain distance will change for longitidunal waves only? not for transverse waves?

Attachments

• IMG_20140713_032436[1].jpg
    IMG_20140713_032436[1].jpg
    42 KB · Views: 844
Last edited:
here.. it's I is directly proportinoal to 1/ r^2 here.
... you mean in the attachment <looks> I see.
The calculation in the attachment is not general.

The wave in that example is spherical. In the problem in post #1 above, the wave is not spherical.

Simon Bridge said:
... you mean in the attachment <looks> I see.
The calculation in the attachment is not general.

The wave in that example is spherical. In the problem in post #1 above, the wave is not spherical.

well, you said the wave is not spherical, so it is circular? , so I = P/2∏r , so i would get I is directly propotional to (a^2 )/ (x^3 )... since i is directly propotional to a^2 / r

amplitude is (a/x) as in the equation of y.

It is not me who says that the wave is nor spherical - it is the problem statement that says that.
Do not assume anything not in the problem statement.

You are also using faulty reasoning.
The ##I\propto A^2## is not something extra to the power relationship.
It is a consequence of it!

It is very puzzling that you have the correct answer with the correct working supplied and you still insist on incorrect answers and faulty reasoning.

Simon Bridge said:
It is not me who says that the wave is nor spherical - it is the problem statement that says that.

It is very puzzling that you have the correct answer with the correct working supplied and you still insist on incorrect answers and faulty reasoning.

i just want to know why would I make such mistake so that i wouldn't make it in th efuture.

I don't know why you would make that mistake. The reasoning is in the model answer, and the theory is in your notes. The intensity is always proportional to the square amplitude.
That's all there is to it.

Simon Bridge said:

sorry for interrupting again.
I = P/2∏r (for circular waves) , so i would get I is directly propotional to (a^2 )/ (r^3 )... since I is directly propotional to a^2 / r but the amplitude = (a/x )

desmond iking said:
sorry for interrupting again.
I = P/2∏r (for circular waves) , so i would get I is directly propotional to (a^2 )/ (r^3 )... since I is directly propotional to a^2 / r but the amplitude = (a/x )

No. That is not logical:

You have
(1) ##I \propto A^2##
(2) ##A=a/x## : "a" is a constant.

(2) → (1): ##I \propto 1/x^2##

This is just normal algebra.

Simon Bridge said:
I don't know why you would make that mistake. The reasoning is in the model answer, and the theory is in your notes. The intensity is always proportional to the square amplitude.
That's all there is to it.

sorry, i really don't understand the situation.

i know that intensity of waves = P/2∏r (for circular waves) , where power = 0.5m(w^2)(A^2)s^-1 , after substituiting the P inside , i have I = 0.5m(w^2)(A^2)s^-1 /2 pi r.

the amplitude is a or a/x ?

so i can say that I is directly proportional to (A^2)/r .

but in the question, the solution gives I is directly proportional to (A^2) but not I is directly proportional to (A^2)/r .

Taking I is directly proportional to (A^2)/r ,

provided a (amplitude ) is constant, so i have I is directly proportional to 1/x as in the working

Qrycnlm.jpg

Simon Bridge said:
No. That is not logical:

You have
(1) ##I \propto A^2##
(2) ##A=a/x## : "a" is a constant.

(2) → (1): ##I \propto 1/x^2##

This is just normal algebra.

well why ##I \propto A^2## not ##I \propto A^2/x## ?

since intensity = power / 2 pi r ...

Last edited:
It looks to me like you are getting mixed up between "a" and "A".
##I\propto A^2## because of the power relation.Start from the beginning:
If you have a traveling plane-wave with equation:

##y(x,t)=A\sin(\omega t -kx)##

How are you finding the average power carried by that wave?

Simon Bridge said:
It looks to me like you are getting mixed up between "a" and "A".
##I\propto A^2## because of the power relation.

Start from the beginning:
If you have a traveling plane-wave with equation:

##y(x,t)=A\sin(\omega t -kx)##

How are you finding the average power carried by that wave?

P=(0.5 mw^2 A^2) /s

P=(0.5 mw^2 A^2) /s
... I'm guessing that "w" stands for ##\omega## here.
What does the "m" and the "s" stand for?

But notice that this says that ##P\propto A^2##?
The intensity would be this average power, per unit area.
Therefore, ##I\propto A^2## as well.

Now try again for the wave: ##y(x,t)=\frac{b}{x}\sin(\omega t - kx)##

w = angular frequency, s stand for second ... why the radius of sphere is not taken into consideration? m=mass of vibrating source

Attachments

• DSC_0039[1].jpg
    DSC_0039[1].jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 407
w = angular frequency, s stand for second ...
why do you have "second" in your equation?
There should be no units in an equation.
m=mass of vibrating source
... I never said that the source was a vibrating mass.

why the radius of sphere is not taken into consideration?
Never said anything about a sphere either - since there is no sphere, there is no need to take it's radius into consideration.

If it is not in the problem statement, you need to say why you are introducing it.
Note: The effect of distances on the wave is already taken into account in the wave equation.

Or Maybe I can say in this way? Since the question doesn't state it's a circular wave or spherical wave, so we only consider I is directly propotional to A^2 only? ( part a ii)

Doesn't matter if the question say or not - I is proportional to A^2

I can also be proportional to other things ... like frequency.
But in your original question, you were asked only to consider how I changes with the x coordinate.
Since frequency stays the same, and amplitude changes with x, you only need to consider the amplitude.
You don't have to do anything else to take x into account because the amplitude has already done that.

The "proportional to" symbol hides a lot of extra influences.

Likes 1 person
How are you getting on with this?

In detail: ##I \propto \omega^2A^2/c## where c is the wave-speed in the medium.
This relation is true no matter what the medium is.

The amplitude A will have a dependence on space depending on the geometry of the wave.
i.e. for spherical waves, ##A\propto 1/r## and for cylindrical waves ##A\propto 1/\sqrt{r}##.

The constant of proportionality depends on the exact type of wave - i.e. water waves, sound waves, light waves etc.

i.e. mechanical waves in a medium: ##I=\kappa \omega^2A^2/c## where ##\kappa## is the coefficient of restitution for the medium.

Many of questions about ratio of wave intensity of two waves like A1Sin(200wt) and A2sin(400wt) just do
A1^2/A2^2 and don't multiply it with their frequencies. Plz help

What do you need help with?

Why not multiplying with frequencies as intensity is proportional to frequency

Simon Bridge said:
What do you need help with?

Try this: $$I_1 \propto \omega^2 A_1^2\\
I_2 \propto \omega^2 A_2^2\\
\frac{I_1}{I_2}=\cdots$$

Didn't got anything...

Hmmm - for some reason the LaTeX didn;t render in post #27 ... trying again:
$$I_1 \propto \omega^2 A_1^2\\
I_2 \propto \omega^2 A_2^2\\
\frac{I_1}{I_2}=\cdots$$
... what do you mean "didn't got anything"?
Please show your working.

Related to Intensity of Waves: Proportional to y^2/x^4?

1. What is the relationship between intensity of waves and the variables y and x?

The intensity of waves is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source, which is represented by the variable y. It is also directly proportional to the square of the wavelength, which is represented by the variable x. This relationship is described by the equation: Intensity ∝ y2/x4.

2. Why is intensity of waves proportional to y2/x4?

This relationship is derived from the inverse square law, which states that the intensity of a wave decreases in proportion to the square of the distance from the source. The additional factor of x2 in the equation takes into account the decrease in intensity as the wavelength increases.

3. How does a change in y or x affect the intensity of waves?

As y increases, the intensity of waves decreases. As x increases, the intensity of waves also decreases. This means that the farther you are from the source and the longer the wavelength, the lower the intensity of the waves will be.

4. Can you explain the concept of intensity of waves using real-life examples?

One example of intensity of waves can be seen in sound waves. When you are close to a loudspeaker, the sound waves have a higher intensity because you are closer to the source. As you move away, the intensity of the sound decreases due to the inverse square law. Another example is the intensity of light from a light source. The closer you are to the light source, the more intense the light will be, but as you move farther away, the intensity decreases.

5. How can the relationship between intensity of waves and y2/x4 be useful in scientific studies?

This relationship is useful in various fields of science, such as physics and astronomy. It helps in understanding the behavior of waves and their propagation in different media. It also allows scientists to make predictions about the intensity of waves at different distances from the source or with different wavelengths. Furthermore, this relationship is crucial in calculating the intensity of waves in practical applications, such as designing communication systems or predicting the behavior of seismic waves during earthquakes.