Intensity and Superposition of waves

In summary, the problem involves a wave being reflected by an obstacle, resulting in a superposition of a standing wave and a traveling wave. By using the product formula for sine, it can be written as a sum of sines or cosines of (ax+bt) and (ax-bt). The amplitude of the reflected wave is calculated to be 3/5 times the amplitude of the incident wave, and the constants c and position of the second antinode can be found by using trigonometric identities.
Abhishekdas
Intensity and Superposition of waves...

Homework Statement

Incident wave y=Asin(ax + bt + pi/2) is reflected by an obstacle at x=0 which reudces intensity of reflected wave by 36%. Due to superposition a resulting wave consist of standing wave and traveling wave given by y= -1.6 sinax.sinbt + cAcos(bt+ax)

Find amplitude of reflected wave, value of c and position of second antinode...

Homework Equations

Intensity is proportional to amplitude square...

The Attempt at a Solution

Now how are they getting this type of a n equation and what do they mena by a wave consisting of a standing as well as a traveling wave at the same time? i want help in finding out the value of these constants...All i got is amplitude of the reflected wave is 3/5 times the incident waves' amplitude...(By Intensity is proportional to amplitude square...)...Thats it... please help...

Physics news on Phys.org

This is a problem involving trigonometric identities.

I suggest you use the product formula for sin(ax)sin(bt) (you can use complex exponentials if you prefer) to write it as a sum of sines or cosines of (ax+bt) and (ax-bt).

Let's see... the identity is:
[tex]\sin(\alpha)\sin(\beta) = \frac{e^{i\alpha}-e^{-i\alpha}}{2i}\frac{e^{i\abeta}-e^{-i\beta}}{2i} = [/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{-4} (e^{i(\alpha+\beta)}+e^{-i(\alpha+\beta)} - e^{i(\alpha-\beta)}-e^{-i(\alpha - \beta)}) [/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2}[\cos(\alpha - \beta) - \cos(\alpha+\beta)][/tex]

Hi jambaugh...thanks for your reply ...
I got the identity but how does it apply here? I am afraid i still didnt get much of a clue about how this equation comes...

Related to Intensity and Superposition of waves

What is the concept of intensity in waves?

Intensity is the measure of energy carried by a wave per unit area per unit time. It is directly proportional to the square of the amplitude of the wave and the frequency of the wave. In simpler terms, it is the measure of how strong or powerful a wave is.

How is the intensity of a wave related to its amplitude?

As mentioned earlier, intensity is directly proportional to the square of the amplitude of a wave. This means that as the amplitude of a wave increases, the intensity also increases. Similarly, decreasing the amplitude will result in a decrease in intensity.

What is the principle of superposition in waves?

The principle of superposition states that when two or more waves meet at a point, the resultant wave is the algebraic sum of the individual waves. This means that the amplitudes of the waves will either reinforce or cancel each other out, depending on their relative positions and directions.

Can the intensity of a wave be increased by superposition?

Yes, the intensity of a wave can be increased by superposition. When two waves with similar amplitudes and frequencies meet in phase, their amplitudes will add up, resulting in an increase in intensity. This is known as constructive interference.

How does the intensity of a wave change as it propagates through a medium?

The intensity of a wave decreases as it propagates through a medium due to the spreading out of the wave over a larger area. This is known as the inverse square law, which states that the intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. In other words, the farther the wave travels, the weaker it becomes.