Integration with Partial Fraction Decomposition

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework equation, but is unsure of what to do next. They consulted an old teacher for help, and found that the equation should be set up as A/x-1 + (Bx+C)/(x-1)^(2) + (Cx+D)/(x^(2) + 1), but they are still working towards the answer. Finally, they mention that cancelling terms can help in the equation.
m0gh

Homework Statement

[itex]\int \frac{-2x + 4}{(x-1)^{(2)}(x^{(2)}+1)}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done the problem a couple times but the answers keep coming out differently so I'm assuming I am messing up the setup.

This is what I have for the first part of the setup:

[itex] -2x + 4 = A(x-1)^{(2)}(x^{(2)}+1) + B(x-1)(x^{(2)}+1) + (Cx+D)*(x-1)(x-1)^{(2)} [/itex]

Once expanded :

[itex] -2x + 4 = Ax^4 - A2x^3 + A2x^2 - A2x + A + Bx^3 -Bx^2 +Bx - B + Cx^4 - C3x^3 + C3x^2 - Cx[/itex]
[itex] +Dx^3 - D3x^2 + D3x - D [/itex]Can anyone let me know if I'm right up to this point?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear why some exponents are enclosed with parentheses () while others are not.

Given that the denominator of the original rational expression is (x - 1)[itex]^{2}[/itex](x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+1), your partial fraction decomposition should have individual factors
of A/(x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+1), B/(x - 1), and C/(x - 1)[itex]^{2}[/itex].

Just talked to an old teacher/friend and she said it should be set up as A/x-1 + (Bx+C)/(x-1)^(2) + (Cx + D)/(x^(2) + 1) so I'm not sure what you mean, Steam King

After talking with the old teacher/friend I am here:

[itex] -2x + 4 = (A+B+D)x^{3} + (-A +C - 2D + E)x^{2} + (A + B + D -2E)x -A + C + E [/itex]

Still working towards the answer. Please let me know if you see any mistakes

m0gh said:
Just talked to an old teacher/friend and she said it should be set up as A/x-1 + (Bx+C)/(x-1)^(2) + (Cx + D)/(x^(2) + 1) so I'm not sure what you mean, Steam King
No, this isn't correct. The second term should be B/(x - 1)2.

Also, you are missing some needed parentheses in your first term, which should be A/(x - 1), when written on a single line.

m0gh said:

Homework Statement

[itex]\int \frac{-2x + 4}{(x-1)^{(2)}(x^{(2)}+1)}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done the problem a couple times but the answers keep coming out differently so I'm assuming I am messing up the setup.

This is what I have for the first part of the setup:

[itex] -2x + 4 = A(x-1)^{(2)}(x^{(2)}+1) + B(x-1)(x^{(2)}+1) + (Cx+D)*(x-1)(x-1)^{(2)} [/itex]

Once expanded :

[itex] -2x + 4 = Ax^4 - A2x^3 + A2x^2 - A2x + A + Bx^3 -Bx^2 +Bx - B + Cx^4 - C3x^3 + C3x^2 - Cx[/itex]
[itex] +Dx^3 - D3x^2 + D3x - D [/itex]Can anyone let me know if I'm right up to this point?

Setup: ##\frac{-2x+4}{(x-1)^2(x^2+1)}## and work that out, granting:
##\frac{-2x+4}{(x-1)^2(x^2+1)}=\frac{A}{x-1} + \frac{B}{(x-1)^2} + \frac{Cx+D}{x^2+1}##
now multiply both sides by ## (x-1)^2(x^2+1) ## which grants
##-2x+4 = A\frac{(x-1)}{(x-1)}(x-1)(x^2+1) + B\frac{(x-1)^2}{(x-1)^2 }(x^2+1) +(Cx+D) \frac{(x^2+1)}{ (x^2+1) }(x-1)^2 ##
I don't know whether what you did was right or not, but it looks as though you didn't cancel your same terms (judging by the ##x^4##) but do this and you should end up with the right answer.

Also (for future reference)
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/Alg/PartialFractions.aspx
That has a nice little reference sheet on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Integration with Partial Fraction Decomposition

What is integration with partial fraction decomposition?

Integration with partial fraction decomposition is a mathematical technique used to simplify and solve integrals (or antiderivatives) of rational functions. It involves breaking down a complex rational function into simpler fractions, each with a single denominator term, and integrating each fraction separately.

Why is partial fraction decomposition used for integration?

Partial fraction decomposition makes it easier to integrate rational functions by breaking them down into simpler terms. This is especially helpful for functions with higher degree polynomials in the numerator and denominator, as it allows us to use known integration techniques for simpler terms.

What are the steps for partial fraction decomposition?

The steps for partial fraction decomposition are as follows:
1. Factor the denominator of the rational function into linear and irreducible quadratic factors.
2. Write the rational function as a sum of its partial fractions, with each fraction having a single denominator term.
3. Determine the unknown coefficients for each fraction by equating the original rational function with the sum of the partial fractions.
4. Integrate each partial fraction separately.
5. Combine the integrated fractions to get the final solution.

What types of integrals can be solved using partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is typically used for integrating rational functions, which are functions that can be written as a ratio of two polynomials. This includes integrals with polynomial functions, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions in the numerator and/or denominator.

Are there any limitations or restrictions when using partial fraction decomposition for integration?

Yes, there are some limitations and restrictions when using partial fraction decomposition for integration. For example, the denominator of the rational function must be factorable into linear and irreducible quadratic terms. Additionally, the degree of the numerator must be less than the degree of the denominator. Some functions may also require special techniques or additional steps to be integrated using partial fraction decomposition.