Integration using substitution

In summary: L, we see that the resistance is just the area of the lamina: R=A=\pi (a- b)^2(x^2/4L^2)+ \pi(a- b)(x/2L)b.
cris9288

Homework Statement

I have a wire in the shape of a truncated cone. One side has radius a and the other has radius b. The wire has resistivity ρ and length L. I am supposed to find the resistance of the wire using R = ρL/A

Homework Equations

R= ρL/A

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have set up my integeral. I know the answer, but I am having trouble with the actual integration by substitution.

ρ∫ dx / (π * (a + (b - a)(x / L))^2)

u = a + (b - a)(x / L)

du = ( b - a ) / L

This just gets me into a huge mess. The answer is ρL/ab. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
This just gets me into a huge mess
How does this huge mess look like? It should be quite simple.

du= is missing a dx.

How can you have a wire (one-dimensional) "in shape of a truncated cone" (three dimensional).

A wire is not a line, it has a finite cross-section.

Oh, I see. Thanks. So we are just talking about the truncated cone.

Since the sides are lines, the diameter at each point is a linear function of ditance along the axis. Taking x= 0 where the diameter is "b" and x= L where it is a, we have d= (a- b)(x/L)+ b so that the radius is d/2= (a- b)(x/2L)+ b/2 and the cross section area is [itex]A= \pi (a- b)^2(x^2/4L^2)+ \pi(a- b)(x/2L)b+ \pi b^2/4[/itex].

Since [itex]R= \rho L/A[/itex], with a small section of length "dx", [itex]R=\rho dx/A= \rho dx/(\pi (a- b)^2(x^2/4L^2)+ \pi(a- b)(x/2L)b+ \pi b^2/4)[/itex] and the total resistance is the integral of that, with respect to x, from 0 to L.

Drawing a thin "lamina" perpendicular to the

Related to Integration using substitution

What is integration using substitution?

Integration using substitution is a method for finding antiderivatives of functions. It involves replacing a variable in the integral with a new variable that makes the integral easier to solve.

When should I use integration using substitution?

You should use integration using substitution when the integrand (the function being integrated) contains a function and its derivative. This can make the integral more manageable and easier to solve.

How do I use integration using substitution?

To use integration using substitution, you must first identify the appropriate substitution. This is usually done by looking for a function and its derivative in the integrand. Then, you replace the variable with the new variable and solve the new integral. Finally, you substitute the original variable back into the solution.

What are some common substitutions used in integration using substitution?

Some common substitutions used in integration using substitution include u-substitution, trigonometric substitutions, and exponential substitutions. The specific substitution used will depend on the integrand and what makes it easier to solve.

What are the benefits of using integration using substitution?

Using integration using substitution can make solving integrals easier and more efficient. It can also help in finding antiderivatives of more complex functions, which is useful in various areas of mathematics and science, such as physics and engineering.