Integration using an Abel transform

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the integral of e^x divided by the square root of (1+e^2x) times (1-e^4x). One proposed solution involves using an Abel transform, with the substitution u=\sqrt{1-u^{2}}' and v=\sqrt{1-u^{2}}'. However, there is some confusion about the substitutions and their consistency.
|mathematix|

Homework Statement

Find the following integral:

Homework Equations

[tex]\int \frac{e^{x}}{\sqrt{(1+e^{2x})(1-e^{4x})}}dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I changed the integral to: [tex]\int \frac{e^{x}}{(1+e^{2x})\sqrt{(1-e^{2x})}}dx[/tex]
The let u=e^x
The integral becomes: [tex]\int \frac{du}{(1+u^{2})\sqrt{(1-u^{2})}}[/tex]
I can do this the long way, such as on wolfram alpha but I want to use an Abel transform so let [tex]u=\sqrt{1-u^{2}}'[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{1-u^{2}}'=-\frac{u}{\sqrt{1-u^2}} \therefore v^{2}=\frac{u^{2}}{1-u^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]du=\frac{dv}{\sqrt{1-u^{2}}}[/tex]

The integral becomes: [tex]\int \frac{dv}{1-u^{4}}[/tex]

I need to somehow get rid off the u and get the integral in terms of v so how can I do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
|mathematix| said:
The integral becomes: [tex]\int \frac{dv}{1-u^{4}}[/tex]

I need to somehow get rid off the u and get the integral in terms of v so how can I do that?
u2 = 1 - v2, no?

haruspex said:
u2 = 1 - v2, no?

How do you get that?

Maybe I misunderstood your substitutions. This doesn't seem to be consistent:
|mathematix| said:
[tex]u=\sqrt{1-u^{2}}'[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{1-u^{2}}'=-\frac{u}{\sqrt{1-u^2}}[/tex]
Did you mean [tex]v=\sqrt{1-u^{2}}'[/tex]? If so, u2 = v2/(1+v2)

haruspex said:
Maybe I misunderstood your substitutions. This doesn't seem to be consistent:

Did you mean [tex]v=\sqrt{1-u^{2}}'[/tex]? If so, u2 = v2/(1+v2)

Related to Integration using an Abel transform

1. What is an Abel transform?

An Abel transform is a mathematical operation used to convert a two-dimensional function into a one-dimensional function. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze and simplify data.

2. How is an Abel transform used in integration?

The Abel transform can be used to solve integrals of functions that have cylindrical or spherical symmetry. It converts the integration in the original coordinates into a simpler integration in a new set of coordinates.

3. What is the difference between traditional integration and integration using an Abel transform?

Traditional integration involves finding the area under a curve by breaking it into small rectangles and adding up their areas. Integration using an Abel transform involves converting the function into a simpler one-dimensional function and then evaluating its integral.

4. What are the advantages of using an Abel transform for integration?

An Abel transform can simplify the integration process, especially for functions with cylindrical or spherical symmetry. It can also help to reduce computational time and improve accuracy in certain cases.

5. Are there any limitations to using an Abel transform for integration?

The use of an Abel transform is limited to functions with specific symmetries, and it may not be suitable for all types of integrals. It also requires knowledge of the function's symmetry and may not be as intuitive as traditional integration methods.