Integration ##\ddot\phi = -\omega^2\phi##

In summary, the solution to this equation can be found by differentiating twice, recognising that a solution could be of the form \phi = e^{rt} and then using the fact that sin(\omega t + \alpha) can be expressed in the form Asin(\omega t)+ Bcos(\omega t).
happyparticle
Homework Statement
integrate angular acceleration
Relevant Equations
## \phi(t) = A sin(\omega t) + B cos(\omega t)##
##\ddot\phi = -\omega^2\phi##
Hi,
I'm wondering how can I get ## \phi(t) = A sin(\omega t) + B cos(\omega t)##
I know I have to integrate 2 times ##\ddot\phi = -\omega^2\phi##. However, I don't have any more explanation in my book.

I know A and B are the constants of integration.

Physics news on Phys.org
EpselonZero said:
Homework Statement:: integrate angular acceleration
Relevant Equations:: ## \phi(t) = A sin(\omega t) + B cos(\omega t)##
##\ddot\phi = -\omega^2\phi##

Hi,
I'm wondering how can I get ## \phi(t) = A sin(\omega t) + B cos(\omega t)##
I know I have to integrate 2 times ##\ddot\phi = -\omega^2\phi##. However, I don't have any more explanation in my book.

I know A and B are the constants of integration.
One way is simply to run it backwards: differentiate the answer twice.
Another is to multiply through by ##\dot\phi##. That makes all terms integrable, but then you get an equation for ##\dot\phi## equal to a square root. So the next step is to make a trig substitution.

Hi.

Solving differential equations is more of an art than a science. They key here is to recognise that we want a function which, when differentiated twice, gives itself multiplied by a constant. This is quite a common problem.

One approach is to recognise that a solution could be of the form [itex]\phi = e^{rt}[/itex]

Taking this approach gives solutions as complex exponentials. These then reduce to sin and cos. Here is a video which shows this: Another approach is to notice [itex] \phi = sin(\omega t + \alpha)[/itex] has the required behavior (when differentiated twice). Then use the fact that [itex]sin(\omega t + \alpha) [/itex] can be expressed in the form [itex]Asin(\omega t)+ Bcos(\omega t)[/itex].

Likes Hamiltonian and Delta2
Another approach is via Laplace transform:
## \ddot\phi = -\omega^2\phi ##
## s^2\Phi - s\phi(0) - \dot\phi(0) + \omega^2 \Phi = 0 ##
where ##\Phi(s) ## is the transform of ## \phi(t) ##.

$$ \Phi = \frac {s\phi(0) + \dot\phi(0)} {s^2 + \omega^2} $$
Let ## A = phi(0) ##
## B = \dot\phi(0)/\omega ##
$$ \Phi = \frac {As + B\omega} {s^2+\omega^2} $$
and from tables,
## \phi(t) =A cos(\omega t) + B sin(\omega t) ##

If this is unfamiliar now, if you're going into electrical eng. you will soon learn it. The only way to solve linear ODE's with constant coefficients! No "guessing" and initial conditions included!

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Or, you could use a power series expansion for ##\phi##.

Related to Integration ##\ddot\phi = -\omega^2\phi##

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve. It is the inverse operation of differentiation, and is used to solve problems in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

2. What does ##\ddot\phi = -\omega^2\phi## mean?

This is a second-order linear differential equation that describes simple harmonic motion. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems such as oscillators and pendulums.

3. How is integration used in solving this equation?

Integration is used to find the general solution to the differential equation. By integrating both sides of the equation, we can eliminate the second derivative and solve for the variable of interest, in this case, ##\phi##.

4. Can this equation be solved without integration?

No, integration is necessary to solve this equation. It is a fundamental tool in solving differential equations and is required to find the general solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of this equation?

This equation is used to model simple harmonic motion in various systems, such as a mass-spring system or a pendulum. It can also be used to study the behavior of electrical circuits, sound waves, and other physical phenomena.