Integration by Substitution: Simplifying Complex Integrals

In summary, the indefinite integral of (x^2 + 1)^(-5/2) dx can be solved by using the substitution x = tan(u) and dx = sec^2(u) du. After substituting and simplifying, the integral becomes (-3x / 2√(x^2 + 1)) + C, where C is a constant of integration. To check if the answer is correct, the antiderivative can be differentiated to get back the original integrand.
flipsvibe

Homework Statement

Compute the indefinite integral.

∫(x^2 + 1)^(-5/2) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a hunch that I need to substitute x = tan(u) but, as always, my lack of trig skills are holding me back.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's the right substition.

If x = tan u, dx = ?

So dx = sec^2 u du?

Right. And you also have the du, so good job. You'll need to substitute for the x^2 + 1 part, so that's tan^2(x) + 1, right?

When you're done with you trig substitution, your new integral will be completely in terms of u and du, with x and dx completely gone.

I plugged in the x = tan u and dx = sec^2 u du, and I got
∫[tan^2(u) + 1]^(-5/2) * sec^2(u) du
==> ∫[sec^2(u)]^(-5/2) * sec^2(u) du
==> ∫[sec^2(u)]^(-3/2) du
after integration I end up with (-3/2)(tanu/secu)
If I continue on and cancel out the cosines, I end up with (-3/2)sinu.
I don't know how to get this back in terms of x.

Wait, I think I got this.
I didn't write out all of my steps in my last reply..so I'll go back one or two, to one I skipped.
(-3/2)[tan(u) / √sec^2(u)]
==>(-3/2) [tanu / √(tan^2u + 1)]
==>-3x / 2√(x^2 + 1)

Last edited:
Don't use ==> when you mean =.

Also, don't forget your constant of integration. I didn't check your answer, but you can do that. If your antiderivative is correct, you should be able to differentiate it and get back the original integrand. IOW, d/dx(-3x/2sqrt(x^2 + 1)) should equal (x^2 + 1)^(-5/2).

Related to Integration by Substitution: Simplifying Complex Integrals

1. What is integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is a method used in calculus to find the integral of a function by substituting a variable with a new variable or expression. This technique is often used to simplify complex integrals and make them easier to solve.

2. How does integration by substitution work?

Integration by substitution involves replacing a variable in the original integral with a new variable, so that the integral can be rewritten in terms of the new variable. This allows for the use of simpler integration techniques, such as the power rule or integration by parts, to solve the integral.

3. When should integration by substitution be used?

Integration by substitution is most useful when the integral contains a function within a function, such as an inner function within a composite function. It can also be used when the integral contains a product of functions or a function raised to a power.

4. What is the general process for integration by substitution?

The general process for integration by substitution involves identifying a substitution that will simplify the integral, substituting the new variable into the integral, and then solving the integral using the new variable. The final step is to back substitute the original variable to arrive at the final answer.

5. Are there any tips for choosing the right substitution for integration?

When choosing a substitution for integration, it is helpful to look for patterns in the integral, such as a function within a function or a product of functions. It is also important to choose a substitution that will result in a simpler integral to solve. Additionally, it can be helpful to practice and become familiar with common substitutions used in integration problems.