Integrating the Brachistochrone Problem: Solving for the Optimal Path

In summary, the conversation discusses the brachistochrone problem and the methods used to solve it, including the Hamilton principle and variation calculus. The main equation for the problem is an integral involving the derivative of y with respect to x. The question is raised about how to integrate this equation and what change of variable would be most effective. The conversation also mentions that Newton solved this problem in 12 hours without the use of the Euler-Lagrange approach. A solution to the problem can be found on the website provided.
elessar_telkontar
I am gathering my mechanics notes and I put into it some examples. When I get the Hamilton principle I put a section for some basic variation calculus. There's the problem of brachistochrone, I try to solve it, but I get stuck with a integral:

the integral that I should make minimal is (I'm so sorry, but I don't know how to put it in LaTex):

t=int((sqrt(1+((dy/dx)^2))/sqrt(2gy))dx)

and from the variation calculus, the y must be the one that complies:

df/dy-(df/(dy/dx))/dx=0 where f=(sqrt(1+((dy/dx)^2))/sqrt(2gy)).

then calculating the partial derivatives of f and putting them into the eq:

m(1+((dy/dx)^2))+2y(dy/dx)(dm/dx)=0 or
m(1+(y'^2))+2yy'(dm/dx)

where y'=dy/dx and m=(1/f)(y'/(gy))

The question is how to integrate it? or which change of variable is good to integrate it in order to get the eq of the brachistochrone?

NOTE: I have tried to separate variables, but this is impossible.

Physics news on Phys.org
elessar_telkontar said:
[tex]t=\int\frac{\sqrt{1+(dy/dx)^2}}{\sqrt{2gy}}dx[/tex]

and from the variation calculus, the y must be the one that complies:

df/dy-(df/(dy/dx))/dx=0 where f=(sqrt(1+((dy/dx)^2))/sqrt(2gy))

then calculating the partial derivatives of f and putting them into the eq:

m(1+((dy/dx)^2))+2y(dy/dx)(dm/dx)=0 or
m(1+(y'^2))+2yy'(dm/dx)

where y'=dy/dx and m=(1/f)(y'/(gy))

The question is how to integrate it? or which change of variable is good to integrate it in order to get the eq of the brachistochrone?
Bernoulli posed this problem in the late 17th C and Newton solved it but he took 12 hours to do it. And he invented Calculus. Mind you, he did not have the benefit of the Euler-Lagrange approach. Just so you don't drive yourself crazy, a complete solution can be found here:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BrachistochroneProblem.html

AM

thank you so much.

Related to Integrating the Brachistochrone Problem: Solving for the Optimal Path

1. What is the "Problem of Brachistochrone"?

The "Problem of Brachistochrone" is a mathematical problem that asks for the shape of a curve that would allow a ball to travel from one point to another in the shortest amount of time due to the force of gravity. It was first posed by Johann Bernoulli in 1696.

2. What is the significance of the "Problem of Brachistochrone"?

The "Problem of Brachistochrone" is significant because it was the first problem in the calculus of variations, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal solution for a given problem. It also led to the development of the calculus of variations as a field of study.

3. What are the key steps to solving the "Problem of Brachistochrone"?

The key steps to solving the "Problem of Brachistochrone" are: setting up the problem using the principle of least action, using the Euler-Lagrange equation to find the optimal solution, and verifying the solution using the calculus of variations.

4. How was the "Problem of Brachistochrone" solved?

The "Problem of Brachistochrone" was solved by Johann Bernoulli and his brother Jakob Bernoulli, who used the principle of least action and the calculus of variations to find the optimal solution. They also received contributions from other mathematicians, such as Leonhard Euler and Joseph-Louis Lagrange.

5. What are some real-world applications of the "Problem of Brachistochrone"?

The "Problem of Brachistochrone" has real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and transportation. It is used to optimize the path of a spacecraft or a projectile, to design roller coasters and water slides, and to improve the efficiency of transportation systems like trains and cars.