Integrating Second-Order PDE: u''(x) = -4u(x), 0 < x < pi | Calculus Help

• Thread starter Scootertaj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the equation u''(x) = -4u(x), 0 < x < pi by integrating using calculus. The solution is u(x) = c1sin(2x) + c2cos(2x), which can be derived by rewriting the equation as u'' + 4u = 0 and using a trial solution of u = erx. The conversation also mentions using the Euler Identity, e^(ikx) = cos(kx) + i sin(kx), to interpret complex roots from the characteristic equation in a second-order differential equation.
Scootertaj
1. Integrate (by calculus): u''(x) = -4u(x), 0 < x < pi
2. The attempt at a solution
I'm not really sure where to start on this one is my problem. I can see that it won't be a e^2x problem because of the negative, which leads me to believe that it will deal with the positive/negative relationship involved when you differentiate cos.
The answer is u(x) = c1sin(2x) + c2cos(2x) which makes sense since u'(x) = 2cos(2x) - 2sin(2x) and u''(x) = -4sin(2x) - 4cos(2x) = -4(sin(2x) + cos(2x)) = -4u(x)
But, how do I go about showing my work? How am I supposed to know it's c1sin(2x) + c2cos(2x) in the first place?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rewrite your equation as

u''+ 4u = 0and since this is a 2nd order ODE with constant coefficients, you can use a trial solution of u = erx to get auxiliary equation which will be for the form

ar2+br+c = 0 where you can solve for r.

For more info: here

Scootertaj said:
I can see that it won't be a e^2x problem because of the negative, which leads me to believe that it will deal with the positive/negative relationship involved when you differentiate cos.

Have you discussed in your course yet how to interpret complex roots from the characteristic equation to a second-order DE? You will find the "Euler Identity" of use:

e^(ikx) = cos(kx) + i sin(kx) .

You could say you made an educated guess as to what the solution is. Guessing the answer is a legitimate way to solve a differential equation. It's a second-order equation so you need two independent solutions. As you noted, the negative sign suggests the solutions will be sines and cosines. Then it's just a matter of figuring out what you need to do to get the factor of 4 out front.

Thank you guys for all your help!
I haven't actually started this class yet, I'm just preparing for it since I know it's going to be quite a *****. It's a graduate level PDE class, and I didn't learn much in my ODE class because of a terrible teacher (even though I got an A).
vela said:
You could say you made an educated guess as to what the solution is. Guessing the answer is a legitimate way to solve a differential equation. It's a second-order equation so you need two independent solutions. As you noted, the negative sign suggests the solutions will be sines and cosines. Then it's just a matter of figuring out what you need to do to get the factor of 4 out front.
I was wondering if guessing the answer is sufficient enough, assuming I prove why it works.
When you say "you need two independent solutions" do you mean having c1 and c2?
Would just c1sin(2x) work? After all, if u = sin(2x), then u' = 2cos(2x) and u'' = -4sin(2x), which works.
Or does that not work since there need to be 2 constant c's because it's second order?

dynamicsolo said:
Have you discussed in your course yet how to interpret complex roots from the characteristic equation to a second-order DE? You will find the "Euler Identity" of use:

e^(ikx) = cos(kx) + i sin(kx) .
I haven't learned that (or anything yet), but how would I go about using that as an answer?
Would I just use e^(i2x)?

rock.freak667 said:
Rewrite your equation as

u''+ 4u = 0and since this is a 2nd order ODE with constant coefficients, you can use a trial solution of u = erx to get auxiliary equation which will be for the form

ar2+br+c = 0 where you can solve for r.

For more info: here
Interesting, I'll look into that more thank you! That makes sense, I need to study it more though.

Related to Integrating Second-Order PDE: u''(x) = -4u(x), 0 < x < pi | Calculus Help

1. What is a second-order PDE?

A second-order PDE (partial differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves second-order derivatives of a function with respect to multiple variables. It is commonly used to describe physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

2. How is a second-order PDE different from a first-order PDE?

A first-order PDE involves first-order derivatives of a function, while a second-order PDE involves second-order derivatives. This means that a second-order PDE provides more information about the behavior of a function compared to a first-order PDE.

3. What are some common examples of second-order PDEs?

Some common examples of second-order PDEs include the heat equation, wave equation, and Laplace's equation. These equations are used to model various physical phenomena, such as heat transfer, wave propagation, and electrostatics.

4. How are second-order PDEs solved?

Solving a second-order PDE often involves finding a solution that satisfies the equation and any given boundary conditions. This can be done analytically using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or numerically using computational methods such as finite difference or finite element methods.

5. What are the applications of second-order PDEs?

Second-order PDEs have a wide range of applications in science and engineering, including physics, chemistry, biology, finance, and economics. They are used to model and analyze various physical and natural phenomena, as well as to optimize processes and make predictions in different fields.