Integrating on an infinite domain

In summary: So in summary, the Laplace transform of the Bessel function of the first kind is given by $ J_{n}(bx) = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \cos(n \theta -bx \sin \theta) \ d \theta = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} e^{i(n \theta - b x \sin \theta)} d \theta$
Dustinsfl
How can I integrate this expression:
\[
\int_0^{\infty} \mathcal{J}_1(kR)e^{-kz}dk = \frac{1}{R} \left[1 - \frac{z^2}{\sqrt{R^2 + z^2}} \right]
\]
where \(\mathcal{J}_1\) is the Bessel function of order 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
How can I integrate this expression:
\[
\int_0^{\infty} \mathcal{J}_1(kR)e^{-kz}dk = \frac{1}{R} \left[1 - \frac{z^2}{\sqrt{R^2 + z^2}} \right]
\]
where \(\mathcal{J}_1\) is the Bessel function of order 1.

It is remarkable the fact that in the right term the variable z, that exists in the left term, doesn't exists (Dull) ...

Any way... a general formula does exist...

$\displaystyle \mathcal{L} \{ a^{n}\ J_{n} (a\ t)\} = \frac{(\sqrt{s^{2}+ a^{2}} - s)^{n}}{\sqrt{s^{2}-a^{2}}}\ (1)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

You can evaluate the Laplace transform of the Bessel function of the first kind of positive integer order by using the integral representation

$ \displaystyle J_{n}(bx) = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \cos(n \theta -bx \sin \theta) \ d \theta = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} e^{i(n \theta - b x \sin \theta)} d \theta $$ \displaystyle\int_{0}^{\infty} J_{n}(bx) e^{-ax} \ dx = \displaystyle \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} e^{i(n \theta -bx \sin \theta)} e^{-ax} \ d \theta \ dx$

$ = \displaystyle \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{i n \theta} e^{-(a+ib \sin \theta)x} \ dx \ d \theta = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \frac{e^{i n \theta}}{a + ib \sin \theta} d \theta$

$ = \displaystyle\frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{|z|=1} \frac{z^{n}}{a+\frac{b}{2} \left(z-\frac{1}{z} \right)} \frac{dz} {iz} = \frac{1}{\pi i} \int_{|z|=1} \frac{z^{n}}{bz^{2}+2az-b} \ dz$

$ = \displaystyle \frac{1}{\pi i} \int_{|z|=1} \frac{z^{n}}{b(z-z_{1})(z-z_{2})} \ dz $

where $\displaystyle z_{1} = -\frac{a}{b} + \frac{\sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}}}{b}$ and $\displaystyle z_{2} = -\frac{a}{b} - \frac{\sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}}}{b}$Only $z_{1}$ is inside the unit circle.So $ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} J_{n} (bx) e^{-ax} \ dx = \frac{1}{\pi i} 2 \pi i \ \text{Res} \left[ \frac{z^{n}}{bz^{2}+2az-b}, z_{1} \right]$

$ \displaystyle = \lim_{z \to z_{1}} \frac{z^{n}}{bz+a} = \frac{(\sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}}-a)^{n}}{b^{n}\sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}}}$

Last edited:
@RandomVariable,
I actually read your post on math.SX because ChiSigma's has a typo with the minus. His typo had my googling lapace transform of the Bessel Eq and I found yours on SX prior to your post here.

Integrating on an infinite domain can be challenging, but with the use of mathematical tools such as the Bessel function, we can find solutions to complex integrals. In this case, we have an integral involving the Bessel function of order 1 and an exponential function. By using the properties of the Bessel function and some algebraic manipulation, we can simplify the integral to a closed-form expression. This shows the power of mathematical techniques in solving integrals on infinite domains. Furthermore, the result of the integration provides insight into the behavior of the function as the integration limits approach infinity. We can see that the expression converges to a finite value, which can be useful in various applications, such as in physics and engineering. Overall, by integrating this expression, we gain a better understanding of the function and its behavior on an infinite domain.

Related to Integrating on an infinite domain

1. What is meant by "integrating on an infinite domain"?

Integrating on an infinite domain refers to the process of finding the total value of a function over an interval that extends infinitely in both directions. Unlike finite integrals, where the limits of integration are finite, infinite domain integrals have no defined endpoints.

2. What are some common methods for integrating on an infinite domain?

Some common methods for integrating on an infinite domain include power series, Laplace transforms, and Fourier transforms. These methods use mathematical techniques to transform the integral into a more manageable form, allowing for easier integration.

3. Why is integrating on an infinite domain useful in scientific research?

Integrating on an infinite domain is useful in scientific research because many natural phenomena, such as waves and vibrations, can be described by functions that extend infinitely. By integrating on an infinite domain, scientists can gain a more complete understanding of these phenomena and make more accurate predictions.

4. What are some challenges associated with integrating on an infinite domain?

One of the main challenges of integrating on an infinite domain is the need to deal with functions that may not be well-behaved at certain points. This can lead to issues with convergence and require the use of specialized techniques such as contour integration.

5. Can integrating on an infinite domain be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, integrating on an infinite domain can be applied to many real-world problems, such as calculating the total energy of a vibrating string or determining the probability of an event occurring in a continuous system. It is a powerful tool in the fields of physics, engineering, and mathematics.