Integrating by Volume: Calculating Solid Volume Using Disk/Washer Method

In summary: But you should set up the integral first.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a solid obtained by rotating a region bounded by given curves about a specified line. The first step is to use the disk/washer method of integration. However, when trying to solve the problem using small changes in x, the wrong answer is obtained. The problem is that the region should be rotated around the y-axis, not the x-axis. Additionally, the integral should be multiplied by pi and the radii should be found using the washer method.
kmr159
1. Find the volume for the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line. y=(1/4)(x^2), x = 2, y = 0, about the y-axis

2. Use the disk/washer method of integration to find the volume

3. When I try to solve this problem using small changes in x (dx) I get the wrong answer. Method: Take integral from 0 to 2 of a function for the area of a circle.

∫ from 0 to 2 : 2[(∏)*((x^2)/8)^2] dx → ∫ from 0 to 2 : (∏x^4)/32 → ∏/5

I do not see why I need to use the washer method as using the disk method encounters no hollow space

the answer given is 2pi

Please tell what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

I'm not comfortable with the washer method, that's why I solved the problem with small change in the x axis.

Physics news on Phys.org
You appear to be rotating around the x-axis. The problem asks you to rotate around the y-axis. Then there is a hollow space between x=0 and x=sqrt(4y). The part between x=sqrt(4y) and x=2 is the filled in part.

kmr159 said:
1. Find the volume for the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line. y=(1/4)(x^2), x = 2, y = 0, about the y-axis
2. Use the disk/washer method of integration to find the volume
3. When I try to solve this problem using small changes in x (dx) I get the wrong answer. Method: Take integral from 0 to 2 of a function for the area of a circle.

∫ from 0 to 2 : 2[(∏)*((x^2)/8)^2] dx → ∫ from 0 to 2 : (∏x^4)/32 → ∏/5

If you're supposed to rotate around the y-axis and use the disk/washer method, then you need to integrate with respect to y, not x. Rewrite [itex]y = \frac{1}{4}x^2[/itex] in terms of x. Use x = 2 to find the upper limit of integration in terms of y. Also, this integral should be multiplied by π, not 2π.EDIT: Beaten to it. ;)

eumyang said:
EDIT: Beaten to it. ;)

Oh, not by much. Both posts have valuable information.

Thanks for all your help

I am rotating about the y-axis

I am multiplying the entire ∏r2 portion by 2 because my equation only finds the area one half of the resultant solid

to find r I divided (1/4x2) by 2 to find the radius of my circles.

thanks again

Attachments

• 3d integral .5.jpg
    3d integral .5.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 424
kmr159 said:
I am multiplying the entire ∏r2 portion by 2 because my equation only finds the area one half of the resultant solid
No, you don't need to do that! The problem, as you stated it, says to
kmr159 said:
The resulting area of the region lies only in the 1st quadrant, and that is the only region that is revolving around the y-axis. There is no need to "multiply by 2."

kmr159 said:
to find r I divided (1/4x2) by 2 to find the radius of my circles.
I don't understand what you are saying here. You need to use the washer method, so you have to find two radii, normally notated as R and r. The integrand would contain R2 - r2, and pi is outside of the integral.

Related to Integrating by Volume: Calculating Solid Volume Using Disk/Washer Method

1. What is integration by volume?

Integration by volume is a mathematical process used to calculate the volume of a solid object by dividing it into infinitesimally small pieces and summing their volumes using the integral calculus. It is often used in physics, engineering, and other fields to determine the volume of irregularly shaped objects.

2. What are the applications of integration by volume?

Integration by volume has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and geometry. It is used to calculate the volume of irregularly shaped objects, determine fluid flow rates, and find the center of mass of an object, among other things.

3. What are the steps involved in integration by volume?

The first step in integration by volume is to determine the shape of the object and the limits of integration. Then, the object is divided into infinitesimally small pieces, and the volume of each piece is calculated using the appropriate integral formula. Finally, the volumes of all the pieces are summed up to obtain the total volume of the object.

4. What are the prerequisites for understanding integration by volume?

In order to understand integration by volume, one must have a strong foundation in calculus, specifically in integration. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of geometry and solid shapes. Familiarity with different integral formulas and techniques is also necessary.

5. Are there any limitations to integration by volume?

Integration by volume has some limitations, such as the assumption that the object being integrated is continuous and has a definite shape. It also requires a good understanding of calculus and can be time-consuming for complex objects. Additionally, it may not be suitable for objects with changing densities or variable cross-sectional areas.