Integral of the momentum (with respect to time)

In summary: Hi everybody !In summary, the question asks for the integral of the momentum of a particle of rest mass over a period of time. If the question is for the relativistic energy equation, then it is not possible to simplify the integral. If the question is for a homework problem, then it is impossible to simplify the integral.
Aaron Bex
Hi everybody !

Can anyone help me with this problem:

Which is the (indefinite) integral with respect to time of the momentum of a particle of rest mass ##m_0##?

##\int \dfrac{m_0\;\mathbf{v}}{{\sqrt{1-\dfrac{\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{v}}{c^2}}}}\;dt##

where ##m_0## is invariant with respect to time.

Thanks !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Without knowledge about v(t) it is impossible to simplify this integral.

Is this part of a homework problem?

Likes Aaron Bex
Then it is impossible to simplify this integral in a general way.

In this case, it is a personal interest.

Thank you !

Aaron Bex said:
Hi everybody !

Can anyone help me with this problem:

Which is the (indefinite) integral with respect to time of the momentum of a particle of rest mass ##m_0##?

##\int \dfrac{m_0\;\mathbf{v}}{{\sqrt{1-\dfrac{\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{v}}{c^2}}}}\;dt##

where ##m_0## is invariant with respect to time.

Thanks !
This is kind of odd. I've seen people take the derivative of that with respect to time, and then integrate over distance to get the relativistic energy equation.

If you looked at it in the limit as v/c -> 0, this integral should represent a displacement through space of the mass, I think.

Since ##v = \frac{dx}{dt}##, then ##m_0 vdt = m_0 dx##. So integrate the right: ## \int m_0 dx = m_0 x + C## or if you use x(a) and x(b) as your end points on the integral, you get a displacement of the mass, i.e. ##m_0 [x(b) - x(a)]##, which definitely looks like mass times a displacement.
As for not doing it when v/c is close to zero, you have the problem of v being a function of time. This isn't a problem if you do what I spoke about in my first sentence (taking the derivative or momentum with respect to time and then integrating over x) since you end up with nice dummy variables that turn the integral into a single variable one (only the speed remains and the integral is done over speed rather than distance). With this, though, you're left integrating over distance after canceling a dt, but your variable still has dt in it (assuming v is a function of time).

Also I can't imagine the physical interpretation of this being as simple as the case involving the low speed version, since time and space can be mixed coordinates in special relativity (and usually are, per the Lorentz transformation equations).

Likes Aaron Bex
Therefore, the main equation is equal to the following equation:

##\int \dfrac{m_0}{{\sqrt{1-\dfrac{\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{v}}{c^2}}}}\;d\mathbf{r}##

But it is also impossible to simplify this integral in a general way.

Thank you !

Related to Integral of the momentum (with respect to time)

1. What is the definition of the integral of momentum with respect to time?

The integral of momentum with respect to time is a mathematical operation that calculates the total change in momentum over a given time interval. It is represented by the symbol ∫p(t)dt and is used to analyze the motion of an object over time.

2. How is the integral of momentum related to Newton's second law of motion?

The integral of momentum is directly related to Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the rate of change of its momentum over time. The integral of momentum allows us to quantitatively understand the relationship between force and momentum over a given time interval.

3. What are the units of the integral of momentum?

The units of the integral of momentum depend on the units used for momentum and time. In the SI system, momentum is measured in kg*m/s and time is measured in seconds, so the units of the integral of momentum are kg*m.

4. How is the integral of momentum calculated?

The integral of momentum is calculated by taking the antiderivative of the function representing momentum with respect to time. This involves using integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. The resulting equation will also have an arbitrary constant, which can be determined by using initial conditions.

5. What is the significance of the integral of momentum in physics?

The integral of momentum is an important concept in physics as it allows us to analyze the motion of objects in terms of force and momentum. It is used in many areas of physics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism, to understand and predict the behavior of physical systems over time.