Intake manifold pressure and spark timing

In summary, higher intake manifold pressure does not directly result in an increase in the degree of spark advancement or torque. However, it may increase the need for spark advancement, which can be met through methods such as adjusting ignition timing. The increased torque with higher intake manifold pressure is due to the denser air-fuel mixture, resulting in more fuel being burned and therefore more energy being released to push the piston. This may require adjusting the spark timing to prevent knocking.
hero live
Why does higher intake manifold pressure results in increase in the degree of spark advancement? Similarly, why is the torque higher for higher intake manifold pressure?

Engineering news on Phys.org
hero live said:
Why does higher intake manifold pressure results in increase in the degree of spark advancement?

It doesn't.
It increases the need for advancement but does not result in it.
That need may be meet by the methods found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_timing

Similarly, why is the torque higher for higher intake manifold pressure?
I assume you mean output torque from the engine.
Again, it doesn't.
Higher intake manifold pressure means more air mass entering the cylinder. If more fuel is added power output may increase. Whether more fuel is added when manifold pressure increases depends on how the fuel delivered.

billy_joule said:
It doesn't.
It increases the need for advancement but does not result in it.
That need may be meet by the methods found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_timing

I don't get this part. How does increased intake manifold pressure lead to need for spark advancement maximum brake torque timing? How is it related to spark timing so that the combustion process takes place effectively?

I don't know where you took your information - and I'm no expert on turbo modified engines - but it seems people who do add a turbo to a NA engine, retard the timing with increased boost pressure. The air-fuel mixture is more dense, so it burns faster because the molecules are closer to each other and mix more easily, hence less time needed.

Even if you are not relating to turbo, just to the manifold pressure (vacuum) inside the NA engine, then maximum pressure is at larger throttle openings. Even on the Wikipedia link from the previous post, it says:
The ignition timing is also dependent on the load of the engine with more load (larger throttle opening and therefore air:fuel ratio) requiring less advance (the mixture burns faster).
Although, in my opinion, it is more because of the denser fuel-mixture (like for the added turbo) than because of a change in air-fuel ratio.

As for the higher torque with higher manifold pressure, it is for the same reason: Denser air-fuel mixture leads to more fuel being burned inside the combustion chamber, releasing more energy to push the piston, thus the higher resulting torque.

hero live said:
I don't get this part. How does increased intake manifold pressure lead to need for spark advancement maximum brake torque timing?

The timing may need adjusting (retarding apparently, not advancing as you and I said) to prevent knocking, Wiki explains it well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

Related to Intake manifold pressure and spark timing

1. What is intake manifold pressure?

Intake manifold pressure is the measure of air pressure inside the intake manifold of an engine. It is typically measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa).

2. How does intake manifold pressure affect engine performance?

The amount of air pressure in the intake manifold affects the amount of air that can be drawn into the engine. This, in turn, affects the amount of fuel that can be mixed with the air and the overall efficiency of the combustion process. Too little or too much intake manifold pressure can result in decreased engine performance.

3. What is spark timing?

Spark timing is the precise timing of when the spark plugs ignite the air-fuel mixture in an engine's cylinders. It is controlled by the engine's computer and determines when the fuel is ignited and how long the spark lasts.

4. How does spark timing impact engine performance?

The timing of the spark affects the efficiency of the combustion process and, therefore, the overall performance of the engine. If the spark timing is off, it can result in decreased power, fuel economy, and emissions.

5. How are intake manifold pressure and spark timing related?

The intake manifold pressure and spark timing are closely related as they both affect the combustion process in an engine. The timing of the spark is often adjusted based on the level of intake manifold pressure to optimize engine performance and efficiency.