Infinite Series. Some confusion with terminology

In summary: But it's not the only possible closed form. For example,\frac{1}{1-x+y} = \sum_{k=0}^\infty x^k+y^k \text{ provided } |x|<1+y|is also a possible closed form.
Saladsamurai
So I am supposed to show that the Infinite series [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{k=1}\frac{3}{k+4}[/tex] does not converge using any method.

Now, my question: Is [tex]\frac{3}{k+4}[/tex] the General term?

I will wait for a response before I continue, for it may eliminate another question regarding the General Term and Closed Form...

Thanks,
Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I'd call that the general term. As for a test, you could try an integral test. More simply a comparison test, if you happen to know 1/k diverges.

Right. I did the integral test. But I wanted to do the "By comparison" test as it is definitely looks simpler.

I have not used the comparison method though. Do I have to show that a "Larger series" diverges and so then the "smaller" series diverges?

Thanks,
Casey

Umm. If the "smaller" diverges, then the "larger" series diverges. Is that what you meant to say?

Dick said:
Umm. If the "smaller" diverges, then the "larger" series diverges. Is that what you meant to say?

Sure why not! That makes me feel better since 3/(k+4) >1/k for k>2.

And since removing a finite amount of terms does not affect (effect?) converence/divergence then since 1/k diverges, 3/(k+4) must also diverge. Sound good?

Also. If you have time, what is Closed Form? And when, if ever, would I apply it? I know that it is rare that you can find a closed form, but i am a little confused as to what it is.

I am looking for an example from the text now to help ...

Thank you,
Casey

continued from above...

Here's is one:

"Find a closed form for the nth partial sum and determine if the series converges/diverges by calculating the limit of the nth partial sum."

[tex]2+\frac{2}{5}+\frac{2}{5^2}+...+\frac{2}{5^{k-1}}+...[/tex]

Now...what is [tex]\frac{2}{5^{k-1}}[/tex] is that not the General term?

Sounds good. That is the 'general term'. But you can write an explicit formula for the sum of the first n terms. It's a geometric series. If you can write a nice formula, that's called 'closed form'.

Dick said:
Sounds good. That is the 'general term'. But you can write an explicit formula for the sum of the first n terms. It's a geometric series. If you can write a nice formula, that's called 'closed form'.

And why do we want the closed form? Couldn't I just use the integral test or compare this one? What does a formula do for me that these methods cannot (out of curiousity)?

The integral test or any other test will just tell you that a limit exists. It won't tell you what the limit is. A closed form can tell you what the limit is.

Ah Yes...that is right.

Thanks!
Casey

Dick said:

The 'general term' is essentially the 'k-th' term (if you are using the variable k). That is, you can use the 'general term' and obtain any specific term simply by substituting in the appropriate value of k.

Regarding 'closed form': not quite. The 'closed form' of a series is a nice formula for the ENTIRE sum, not just the sum of the first n terms (that's the 'n-th partial sum'). There is a difference, in particular if your sum is infinite. For example,

[tex]\frac{1}{1-x} = \sum_{k=0}^\infty x^k \text{ provided } |x|<1[/tex]

The formula [tex]\frac{1}{1-x}[/tex] is the closed form of the series on the right hand side.

Related to Infinite Series. Some confusion with terminology

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a mathematical concept that involves adding an infinite number of terms together. Each term in the series is usually related to the previous term in some way, and the sum of all the terms in the series can either approach a finite value or diverge to infinity.

2. What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent series?

A convergent series is one in which the sum of the terms approaches a finite value as more terms are added. On the other hand, a divergent series is one in which the sum of the terms diverges to infinity as more terms are added.

3. What is the difference between an arithmetic and a geometric series?

An arithmetic series is one in which each term is a constant value added to the previous term. A geometric series is one in which each term is a constant multiple of the previous term. For example, in an arithmetic series, the terms might be 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, while in a geometric series, the terms might be 1, 2, 4, 8, 16.

4. What is the meaning of the terms "partial sum" and "infinite sum" in an infinite series?

The partial sum of an infinite series is the sum of a finite number of terms in the series. As more terms are added, the partial sum will either approach a finite value (for a convergent series) or diverge to infinity (for a divergent series). The infinite sum, as the name suggests, is the sum of all the terms in the series, which may or may not have a finite value.

5. How can we determine if an infinite series is convergent or divergent?

There are several tests that can be used to determine if an infinite series is convergent or divergent, such as the ratio test, the comparison test, and the integral test. These tests involve examining certain properties of the series, such as the rate of growth of the terms, to determine its convergence or divergence.