Infinite index set in product topology

In summary, the question is asking for a proof that a set U is in the basis of the topology, given that U is defined by an infinite intersection of open sets. However, this cannot be done because the set U is not defined by a finite intersection of open sets.
pieterb

Homework Statement

Let

[tex]Y := \prod_{i \in I} X_i[/tex]

Now assume [tex]U_i \subset X_i [/tex] to be open.

If we take i to be infinite, [tex]\prod_{i \in I} X_i[/tex] cannot be open. Why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't quite get my head around how to approach this problem. A part of me says that the assumption that [tex]U = pr^-1(U_i) intersection ..[/tex] does not produce an open set. (because the theorem for topological spaces says that only a finite intersection of open spaces is open).

How would one go about proving this rigorously?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show there is no open set U in the basis of the topology such that U is a subset of Y.

Have been sitting on this while doing the dishes, however no new insights. Am I in the right direction by thinking that the fact that U is defined by infinite intersections no longer guarantees it to be open?

pieterb said:
Have been sitting on this while doing the dishes, however no new insights. Am I in the right direction by thinking that the fact that U is defined by infinite intersections no longer guarantees it to be open?

The question isn't about intersections. The big Pi symbol doesn't mean intersection. What are the basis sets that define your product topology? Look it up.

Last edited:
According to my textbook, the following gives B, the collection of subsets that forms the basis.

[tex]\cap_{a i}^{n} pr^{-1}_{a i}(U_{a i}) = \left\{(x_{\alpha})_{\alpha \in A} \in Y | x_{a i} \in U_{a i} for all i = 1, ... , n\right\}[/tex]

Given [tex] a1,..,an \in A[/tex] and [tex]U_{a i}[/tex] open in [tex]X_{a i}[/tex]

I don't see why this cannot be extended towards infinity.

pieterb said:
According to my textbook, the following gives B, the collection of subsets that forms the basis.

[tex]\cap_{a i}^{n} pr^{-1}_{a i}(U_{a i}) = \left\{(x_{\alpha})_{\alpha \in A} \in Y | x_{a i} \in U_{a i} for all i = 1, ... , n\right\}[/tex]

Given [tex] a1,..,an \in A[/tex] and [tex]U_{a i}[/tex] open in [tex]X_{a i}[/tex]

I don't see why this cannot be extended towards infinity.

Here's what is maybe a clearer way to describe that. A set U is in the basis if it's given by
[tex]
U = \prod_{i \in I} U_i
[/tex]
where U_i is a open subset of X_i and U_i=X_i for ALL BUT A FINITE NUMBER of indices i. Your set is
[tex]
\prod_{i \in I} U_i
[/tex]
where U_i is a proper open subset of X_i. (At least that's what I'm guessing from the problem statement). So U_i isn't equal to X_i for ANY i. And, yes, putting it that way you can say the problem is the need to do an infinite number of intersections.

Last edited:
Wow, I was thinking in completely the wrong direction. Thanks so much for your assistance!

pieterb said:
Wow, I was thinking in completely the wrong direction. Thanks so much for your assistance!

So you see the problem? An infinite product of proper open subsets is too small to have any basis element contained in it.

I see the problem, currently trying formulate it in a neat way. Any tips?

pieterb said:
I see the problem, currently trying formulate it in a neat way. Any tips?

Like said before. Take any U in the basis and show it cannot be contained in your set.

Related to Infinite index set in product topology

1. What is an infinite index set in product topology?

An infinite index set in product topology is a set of elements that are used to form the basis for a product topology. This means that the topology of the product space is determined by the topology of each individual space and the index set. The index set can be any set that has an infinite number of elements, such as the natural numbers or the real numbers.

2. How is an infinite index set used in product topology?

An infinite index set is used in product topology to define the open sets in the product space. These open sets are formed by taking the Cartesian product of open sets in each individual space. The index set is used to specify which elements from each space are included in the product. This allows for a more flexible and general topology than a finite index set would provide.

3. What are the advantages of using an infinite index set in product topology?

Using an infinite index set in product topology allows for a more comprehensive and flexible topology. It allows for the creation of open sets that would not be possible with a finite index set, and it can handle spaces with an infinite number of dimensions. This makes it a useful tool in many areas of mathematics and physics.

4. Can an infinite index set be used in all types of product spaces?

Yes, an infinite index set can be used in all types of product spaces. This includes both finite and infinite product spaces, as well as Cartesian products of topological spaces, metric spaces, and vector spaces. As long as the individual spaces have a topology defined on them, an infinite index set can be used to form the product topology.

5. Are there any limitations to using an infinite index set in product topology?

One limitation of using an infinite index set in product topology is the potential for the product space to become too large and complex. This can make it difficult to work with and may require additional tools and techniques to analyze. Additionally, the choice of the index set can greatly affect the resulting topology, so care must be taken in selecting an appropriate index set.