Inequality with two absolute values

In summary, the problem is to find all real values of x that satisfy the inequality |x-3| > |x + 1|. After splitting the inequality into cases, it is found that the solutions do not make sense. However, upon further examination, it is discovered that the inequality sign was flipped incorrectly for one of the cases, resulting in incorrect solutions. The correct solutions can be found by considering the different cases based on the signs of x+1.
paech

Homework Statement

Find all real values of x that satisfy the following inequality.

Homework Equations

[itex]|x-3| > |x + 1|[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Splitting up the inequality into cases I get:

1. [itex] |x-3| > x + 1[/itex] and 2. [itex]|x-3| < -x - 1[/itex]

1. [itex] x-3 > x + 1[/itex] or [itex]x-3 < -x - 1[/itex]

2. [itex] x-3 < x + 1[/itex] or [itex]x-3 > -x - 1[/itex]

The solutions to these inequalities just don't make sense. I've done something wrong with splitting them up, but I'm not sure what.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well! That looks fine to me. I understand that one case gives you 'no real information' but the other one should tell you something about x = 1. my advice plot these two graphs and notice their relation. Secondly you can notice that one is a V shape and the other is an upside down V, and infer that they'll only intersect at 1 point.

paech said:

Homework Statement

Find all real values of x that satisfy the following inequality.

Homework Equations

[itex]|x-3| > |x + 1|[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Splitting up the inequality into cases I get:

1. [itex] |x-3| > x + 1[/itex] and 2. [itex]|x-3| < -x - 1[/itex]
You should not have flipped the inequality sign around for item 2 above.

|x + 1| = x + 1 when x+1≥0, that is to say, when x ≥ -1 .

Similarly, |x + 1| = -x - 1 when x+1≤0, that is to say, when x ≤ -1 .

1. [itex] x-3 > x + 1[/itex] or [itex]x-3 < -x - 1[/itex]

2. [itex] x-3 < x + 1[/itex] or [itex]x-3 > -x - 1[/itex]

The solutions to these inequalities just don't make sense. I've done something wrong with splitting them up, but I'm not sure what.

Related to Inequality with two absolute values

1. What is inequality with two absolute values?

Inequality with two absolute values is a mathematical concept that involves two absolute value expressions being compared using inequality symbols, such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. It is used to describe a relationship between two quantities where the difference between their magnitudes is being compared.

2. How do you solve an inequality with two absolute values?

To solve an inequality with two absolute values, you need to consider two cases: when the expressions inside the absolute value signs are positive and when they are negative. You then solve each case separately, and the final solution will be the combination of both solutions. It is important to remember to include the absolute value symbols in the final answer.

3. Can an inequality with two absolute values have more than one solution?

Yes, an inequality with two absolute values can have more than one solution. This is because there are two cases to consider when solving the inequality, and each case can have a different solution. The final answer will be the combination of both solutions.

4. How do you graph an inequality with two absolute values?

To graph an inequality with two absolute values, you first need to rewrite the inequality in slope-intercept form. Then, you can use the graphing techniques for linear equations to plot the line and shade the area that satisfies the inequality. You may need to graph two lines for the two cases, and the final solution will be the intersection of the shaded regions.

5. Why is inequality with two absolute values important in science?

Inequality with two absolute values is important in science because it allows us to compare and describe relationships between quantities with unknown or varying magnitudes. This can be helpful in solving problems and making predictions in various scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and biology.