Induced Radiation: Marie Curie's Notes & Effects of Gamma/X-Rays

In summary, ordinary material can become radioactive if it is exposed to radioactive sources, such as direct contamination. This is how Marie Curie's notes are still radioactive. Induced radioactivity, on the other hand, requires high-energy particles or photons. It is said that Marie Curie may have carried a sample of Ra in her pocket, which could have contributed to her later cancer.
Silviu
Hello! How can ordinary material become radioactive, if exposed to radioactive sources? I read that Marie Curie's notes are still radioactive and I am not sure I understand how. As far as I know gamma and X-rays can excite or ionize an atom or excite a nucleus. How does this make the radiated material to become radioactive?

Physics news on Phys.org
Silviu said:
I read that Marie Curie's notes are still radioactive and I am not sure I understand how.
Probably from direct contamination, pieces of radioactive samples stuck to the notes.
Induced radioactivity is much weaker.

Hi,
mfb is right, Marie Curie notes are radioactive because of contamination and not due to induced activity. To obtain induced activity, neutrons or particles (e.g. ions) of high energy are required. It is possible to activate with high-energy photons (threshold effect)
PSR

Legend has it that Marie Curie carried a sample of Ra in her pocket. It's no surprise that she got cancer!

Related to Induced Radiation: Marie Curie's Notes & Effects of Gamma/X-Rays

1. What is induced radiation?

Induced radiation refers to the process of creating or producing radiation in a substance through external sources, such as high-energy particles or electromagnetic waves.

2. Who was Marie Curie and what were her notes on induced radiation?

Marie Curie was a renowned physicist and chemist who, alongside her husband Pierre Curie, conducted extensive research on radioactivity. Her notes on induced radiation documented her experiments with uranium, thorium, and polonium, as well as her discovery of the elements radium and polonium.

3. What are gamma and X-rays and how do they differ?

Gamma and X-rays are both forms of electromagnetic radiation, but they differ in terms of their wavelengths and origins. Gamma rays have shorter wavelengths and are emitted from the nucleus of an atom during radioactive decay, while X-rays have longer wavelengths and are produced by high-energy electron interactions.

4. What are the effects of gamma and X-rays on living organisms?

Both gamma and X-rays have the ability to penetrate living cells and cause damage to DNA. This can lead to mutations, cell death, and potentially increase the risk of developing cancer. However, these forms of radiation are also used in medical imaging and cancer treatment.

5. How can we protect ourselves from the harmful effects of gamma and X-rays?

There are various safety measures that can be taken to protect ourselves from the harmful effects of gamma and X-rays, such as limiting exposure time, using shielding materials, and following proper safety protocols in medical and industrial settings. It is also important to follow regulations and guidelines set by regulatory bodies to ensure safe levels of exposure.