Indefinite and definite integral of e^sin(x) dx

In summary, the indefinite integral of e^(sin(x))dx does not have a closed-form solution, but we can still approximate the definite integral. It may be possible to use contour integration to find an analytic value for the definite integral, and there are also other methods such as using special functions and series expansions to approximate the value of the integral. The first few terms of the series have been calculated and can provide a good approximation for the definite integral.
Emmanuel_Euler
Look to this indefinite integral →∫e^(sin(x))dx
Antiderivative or integral could not be found.and impossible to solve.

Look to this definite integral
∫e^(sin(x))dx (Upper bound is π and Lower bound is zero)=??

my question is : can we find any solution for this integral (definite integral) ??

Last edited:
Likes lurflurf
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no closed-form solution for the antiderivative, but we can still approximate the definite integral.

It may be possible to use contour integration to find an analytic value for [itex]\int_0^\pi e^{\sin x}\,dx[/itex].

Assume that we have a solution like that int(y dy)=int(e^sinx dx). It is clear we must find y^2/2=int(e^sinx dx). In order to equality, int[ln(y) dy]=int(sinx dx). Due to int(lny dy) is equal to y(lny-1); y(lny-1)=-cosx+c and y=[-cosx+c]/[lny-1]. We need to find y^2/2 therefore, y^2/2=[(cosx+c)/(lny-1)]^2/2. This is the solution of int(e^sinx dx) and we have a non-linear euation.

lets consider
$$\frac{1}{\pi}\int_0^\pi\!e^{\sin(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x$$
I flipped through some books and did not find much on that, but I did find that
$$\frac{1}{\pi}\int_0^\pi\!e^{\cos(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x=\operatorname{I}_0(1)$$
I is the modified Bessel function of the first kind.
Also we know that
$$\operatorname{I}_0(1)=\frac{1}{\pi}\int_0^\pi\!\cosh(\sin(x))\,\mathrm{d}x\\
\operatorname{I}_0(1)\sim1.26606587775201$$
http://people.math.sfu.ca/~cbm/aands/page_376.htm
and
$$\operatorname{L}_0(1)=\frac{1}{\pi}\int_0^\pi\!\sinh(\sin(x))\,\mathrm{d}x\\
\operatorname{L}_0(1)\sim0.710243185937891$$
L is the Modified Struve Function
http://people.math.sfu.ca/~cbm/aands/page_498.htm
so
$$\frac{1}{\pi}\int_0^\pi\!e^{\sin(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x=\operatorname{I}_0(1)+\operatorname{L}_0(1)\sim1.97630906368990$$

Likes aheight
can you give me the name of the books please, because i need them and thank you so much for help

I found that in the famous Handbook of Mathematical Functions edited by M. Abramowitz and I. A. Stegun a "work for hire performed for the US Government" thus freely available.
For example here
http://people.math.sfu.ca/~cbm/aands/toc.htm
It is also of course available in print if you prefer.

thank you so much for help...

By using the formulas

[tex]
\sin(\alpha)\sin(\beta) = \frac{1}{2}\big(\cos(\alpha - \beta) - \cos(\alpha + \beta)\big)
[/tex]
[tex]
\sin(\alpha)\cos(\beta) = \frac{1}{2}\big(\sin(\alpha - \beta) + \sin(\alpha + \beta)\big)
[/tex]

it is possible to write the powers [itex](\sin(x))^n[/itex] in a form where non-trivial powers do not appear. By using this approach we get a series that starts as

[tex]
\int\limits_0^{\pi} e^{\sin(x)}dx = \pi + 2 + \frac{1}{2!}\frac{\pi}{2} + \frac{1}{3!}\frac{4}{3} + \frac{1}{4!}\frac{3\pi}{8} + \frac{1}{5!}\frac{16}{15} + \cdots
[/tex]

It is unfortunate of course that it might be impossible to get a nice formula for these terms, but it's not obvious if that's the way it's going to be. It could be that there exists some theory for the coefficients in the formula for [itex](\sin(x))^n[/itex].

Just to add to my previous answer the actual formula so one does not have to follow the site

$$\displaystyle \int e^{\sin(x)} dx=I_0(1)x + \frac{\pi}{2}L_0(1) + 2\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty} \frac{I_n(1)}{n} \sin \left ( nx - \frac{n\pi}{2} \right ) $$

Another nice way of solving definite integral apart for simply stating its value through Struve and Bessel (which is the shortest possible known expression at the moment) goes like this:

First let us get rid of ##\sin(x)##, introducing ##u=\sin(x), du=\cos(x)dx## This leads to

$$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi} e^{\sin(x)} dx=2\int_{0}^{1} \frac{e^u}{\sqrt{1-u^2}} du$$

Notice that we have taken it twice from ##0## to ##\frac{\pi}{2}## as ##e^{\sin(x)}## is symmetrical.

Now we use expansion of ##e^u## reducing it all to the sum of integrals

$$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi} e^{\sin(x)} dx=2 \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \int_{0}^{1} \frac{u^k}{k!\sqrt{1-u^2}} du$$

Now

$$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} \frac{u^k}{k!\sqrt{1-u^2}} du= \frac{1}{k!}\frac{\sqrt{\pi}\Gamma(\frac{k+1}{2})}{2\Gamma(\frac{k}{2}+1)}$$

coming from the connection between Beta and Gamma function, making it all

$$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi} e^{\sin(x)} dx=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{\sqrt{\pi}\Gamma(\frac{k+1}{2})}{\Gamma(\frac{k}{2}+1)k!}$$

or in a split form

$$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi} e^{\sin(x)} dx=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{\pi}{4^n(n!)^2} + \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{2^{n+1}n!}{(2n+1)!(2n+1)!}$$

First 10 terms are giving 20 digit precision already.

I am happy with 4 terms 4 digit precision

$$\displaystyle \frac{328}{147} + \frac{2917 π}{2304} \approx 6.2087$$

Just to make the connection

$$\displaystyle \pi L_0(1)=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{2^{n+1}n!}{(2n+1)!(2n+1)!}$$
$$\displaystyle \pi I_0(1)=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{\pi}{4^n(n!)^2}$$

Last edited:
alexpeter_pen said:
$$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi} e^{\sin(x)} dx=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{\sqrt{\pi}\Gamma(\frac{k+1}{2})}{\Gamma(\frac{k}{2}+1)k!}$$

Yes, this is the same series whose first terms I wrote down with their more explicit values. Very nice, thanks.

Related to Indefinite and definite integral of e^sin(x) dx

1. What is the indefinite integral of e^sin(x) dx?

The indefinite integral of e^sin(x) dx is ∫e^sin(x) dx = -cos(x) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How do you solve the definite integral of e^sin(x) dx?

To solve the definite integral of e^sin(x) dx, you first need to find the indefinite integral of e^sin(x) dx. Then, evaluate the result at the upper and lower limits of integration and subtract the lower limit from the upper limit.

3. Can the integral of e^sin(x) dx be evaluated using substitution?

Yes, the integral of e^sin(x) dx can be evaluated using the substitution method. Let u = sin(x), then du = cos(x) dx. Substituting these values into the integral will result in ∫e^u du, which is a standard integral that can be easily solved.

4. Is the integral of e^sin(x) dx an elementary function?

No, the integral of e^sin(x) dx is not an elementary function. It cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and their inverses.

5. What is the significance of the integral of e^sin(x) dx in mathematics?

The integral of e^sin(x) dx is significant in mathematics because it appears in many applications, including physics, engineering, and probability. It also has connections to the theory of elliptic integrals and special functions, making it an important concept in advanced mathematics.