Increasing power supply to building

In summary: But could you please tell me what the most common powergrid is for a typical small warehouse/showroom at 100m^2 or higher?A typical powergrid for a small warehouse or showroom at 100m^2 or higher is going to be between 1 and 2 kW.
CognitiveNet
I have a warehouse (industrial building) which has a 5killowatt/hour output. This is a 3 phase supply.
I need to increase it to at least 10killowatt/hour. The electrical system is modern. But do I need to change the infrastructure to increase the power output?

If I need to change the infrastructure, does it mean the electricity supplier also needs to setup more power poles (the wooden poles the lines are attached to)?

Can you assume how much it would cost to achieve this increase in poweroutput?
--------------------------------------…
What will it be used for? I'm installing a couple tankless waterheater. Each one of them seem to have a power consumption of 4killowatt/hour. Is this normal?

Engineering news on Phys.org
First of all, it's just kilowatts (kW). There is no such thing as kilowatts per hour.

Second, 5 kW is pretty low. My house, for example, has a capacity of 24 kW. So I'd be surprised if your building can't handle it. The main electrical panel should tell you the size of the main circuit breaker and probably the voltage. Either way, you're going to need to hire an electrician to wire the heaters, so they'll be able to tell you what you need to make it work.

russ_watters said:
First of all, it's just kilowatts (kW). There is no such thing as kilowatts per hour.

Second, 5 kW is pretty low. My house, for example, has a capacity of 24 kW. So I'd be surprised if your building can't handle it. The main electrical panel should tell you the size of the main circuit breaker and probably the voltage. Either way, you're going to need to hire an electrician to wire the heaters, so they'll be able to tell you what you need to make it work.

In that case, why does the electricity "shut off" when I've got too many things on in the kitchen? I suppose the grid is divided into different parts? But for an industrial building, I suppose the grid would mostly be concentrated to one room?

CognitiveNet said:
In that case, why does the electricity "shut off" when I've got too many things on in the kitchen?
Your warehouse has a kitchen? Maybe you are powering multiple power-hungry appliances from a single power outlet and using double adapters or power boards to do this?

How many amps are the circuit breakers rated on your 3 phase?

NascentOxygen said:
Your warehouse has a kitchen? Maybe you are powering multiple power-hungry appliances from a single power outlet and using double adapters or power boards to do this?

How many amps are the circuit breakers rated on your 3 phase?

I don't know the amps rating. But I need to connect at least two, tankless water heaters which run on at least 4kWh. (I'm using an industrial warehouse/showroom as a studio). I'm not sure if such a building which consists of a single room would have any powergrid close to i.e. 24kW.

The rest of the building is just a pair of offices, one on 1st and other on 2nd floor. It has water connected to it.

Can you assume that this typical warehouse (100m^2) would have a capacity of 24kw?
Do I need to be more specific?

Last edited:
CognitiveNet said:
I don't know the amps rating. But I need to connect at least two, tankless water heaters which run on at least 4kWh. (I'm using an industrial warehouse/showroom as a studio). I'm not sure if such a building which consists of a single room would have any powergrid close to i.e. 24kW.

The rest of the building is just a pair of offices, one on 1st and other on 2nd floor. It has water connected to it.

I replied you... see above.

Tankless water heaters are HUGE power eaters.

24 kw is 100 amps at 240 volts. And that's about what you'd need for a 4 gpm hot shower.

You need wire about the size of your thumb to deliver 100 amps.
I will be surprised if you find an outlet that large.

The landlord could get one put in for you surely
but an old fashioned tank heater may be more practical.
If you build a box around it and insulate it well it'll be as efficient as a tankless, by any reasonable measure.

that's my thoughts.

I think you should be able to take a good photo of the switchboard/meterboard and post a link to it. The printing needs to be readable.

CognitiveNet said:
Can you assume that this typical warehouse (100m^2) would have a capacity of 24kw?
Do I need to be more specific?
You can't assume anything. You need to hire an electrician.

NascentOxygen said:
I think you should be able to take a good photo of the switchboard/meterboard and post a link to it. The printing needs to be readable.

But could you please tell me what the most common powergrid is for a typical small warehouse/showroom at 100m^2 or higher? You'd be doing me a great favor.

Sorry, guesswork is not acceptable in matters of life and death. If you won't listen to us, we won't help you kill yourself. Thread locked.

Related to Increasing power supply to building

What are the benefits of increasing power supply to a building?

An increased power supply to a building can provide several benefits, including the ability to support more electrical devices and appliances, improved energy efficiency, and reduced risk of power outages. It can also increase the value of the building and make it more attractive to potential buyers or tenants.

What are the potential risks of increasing power supply to a building?

Increasing power supply to a building can come with risks, such as overloading the electrical system and causing damage to appliances and devices. It can also lead to higher electricity bills and potential safety hazards if the electrical system is not properly installed or maintained.

What factors should be considered when increasing power supply to a building?

There are several factors that should be considered when increasing power supply to a building, including the building's current electrical capacity, the type of electrical system in place, the cost of the project, and any potential safety concerns. It is important to consult with a professional electrician or engineer to determine the best course of action.

What are some potential solutions for increasing power supply to a building?

There are several solutions that can be implemented to increase power supply to a building, such as upgrading the electrical panel and wiring, adding additional circuits, or installing a backup generator. The best solution will depend on the specific needs and circumstances of the building.

What is the process for increasing power supply to a building?

The process for increasing power supply to a building will vary depending on the specific solution chosen. In general, it will involve a consultation with a professional electrician or engineer, obtaining necessary permits, and completing the installation or upgrade according to local building codes. It is important to work with a reputable and licensed professional to ensure the process is done safely and effectively.