Incorrect simulation results for flyback converter using Simpowersys

In summary, The conversation discusses a problem with a flyback converter model created using Simpowersystems in Simulink/Matlab. The model consistently gives the wrong answer, while simulations using PLECS and Simscape/simulink provide the correct answer. The model's design is questioned and a picture of the model is provided, showing reversed components. The user explains that this was intentional to achieve a negative output voltage. However, it is suggested that the feedback sensor element is upside down and not functioning properly.
thecake
Hello :)

I have created a flyback converter model using Simpowersystems in Simulink/Matlab. But it always gives me the wrong answer! I have simulated the same system using PLECS and Simscape/simulink and got the correct answer. But with my Simpowersystems model, it always gives me the wrong answer here is a link to the model

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6h6e219x65o6ldk/aKKEgl3Y_D

Any idea what is going on? I tried changing the solver but without luck

Here is a picture of the model

http://prntscr.com/2be8yk

Engineering news on Phys.org
thecake said:
Hello :)

I have created a flyback converter model using Simpowersystems in Simulink/Matlab. But it always gives me the wrong answer! I have simulated the same system using PLECS and Simscape/simulink and got the correct answer. But with my Simpowersystems model, it always gives me the wrong answer here is a link to the model

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6h6e219x65o6ldk/aKKEgl3Y_D

Any idea what is going on? I tried changing the solver but without luck

Here is a picture of the model

http://prntscr.com/2be8yk

The picture of the model looks wrong. D3 is in backwards and Cf is upside-down. D3 has to be reversed to give you a positive Vo.

berkeman said:
The picture of the model looks wrong. D3 is in backwards and Cf is upside-down. D3 has to be reversed to give you a positive Vo.
That was intentional, I wanted to have a negative output voltage, that is why they are reversed :)

Here is what the output is supposed to look like in this configuration using another program

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/355/cmgy.png

Last edited by a moderator:
thecake said:
That was intentional, I wanted to have a negative output voltage, that is why they are reversed :)

Here is what the output is supposed to look like in this configuration using another program

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/355/cmgy.png

It's just pumping down the voltage without any feedback regulation working. Your feedback sensor element is upside down with respect to your "negative output voltage".

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your simulation results and model. It is important to understand that simulation results can vary depending on the simulation tool used, as each tool may have different algorithms and assumptions built into it. In this case, it seems that there may be a discrepancy between the results obtained from Simpowersystems and PLECS/Simscape.

One potential reason for this could be the different solver settings used in each simulation tool. I would recommend checking the solver settings in Simpowersystems and making sure they are consistent with the settings used in PLECS/Simscape. Also, make sure that the simulation time step is small enough to accurately capture the dynamics of the system.

Additionally, it would be helpful to validate the model by comparing it to analytical equations or experimental data. This can help identify any potential errors or discrepancies in the model itself.

I hope this helps. If the issue persists, I would recommend reaching out to the technical support team for Simpowersystems for further assistance. They may be able to provide more specific guidance based on your model and simulation settings.

Best of luck with your simulation.

Related to Incorrect simulation results for flyback converter using Simpowersys

1. What could be causing the incorrect simulation results for my flyback converter using Simpowersys?

There could be multiple factors that could be contributing to the incorrect simulation results for your flyback converter. Some common reasons could be incorrect component values, improper circuit connections, or incorrect settings in the simulation software.

2. How can I troubleshoot and fix the incorrect simulation results for my flyback converter?

To troubleshoot and fix the incorrect simulation results, you can start by double-checking all the component values and connections in your circuit. You can also try adjusting the simulation settings and parameters in Simpowersys to see if it improves the accuracy of the results.

3. Can a faulty component cause incorrect simulation results for a flyback converter?

Yes, a faulty component can certainly cause incorrect simulation results for a flyback converter. It is important to ensure that all components in the circuit are functioning properly and have the correct values before running the simulation.

4. Are there any common mistakes that can lead to incorrect simulation results for a flyback converter using Simpowersys?

Some common mistakes that can lead to incorrect simulation results include incorrect component values, incorrect circuit connections, and incorrect simulation settings. It is important to double-check all these factors before running the simulation.

5. Is there any way to validate the simulation results for a flyback converter using Simpowersys?

Yes, there are ways to validate the simulation results for a flyback converter using Simpowersys. You can compare the simulation results with theoretical calculations or use a physical prototype to test and compare the results. It is also helpful to consult with other experts or professionals in the field for their insights and validation.