In your own personal life, how often do you use this equation?

• Thread starter eratosthenes2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary: I think it would make a good Dr. Seuss episode though. :smile:In summary, people use the tool K = 1/2mv squared to calculate various things, like energy in everyday life or in physics homework problems.
eratosthenes2
Thought this would be an interesting topic.

so just in everyday life, what sort of stuff have you applied the tool K = 1/2 mv squared for?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm an engineer who designs heating and air conditioning systems, so I use it or a variation of it a few times a week to calculate fan energy.

I use it very often in my everyday life, usually for answering PF questions :smile:

I use it pretty often, for various engine design and analysis activities.

Use it? What do you mean use it? I am aware of it every time I catch or throw something, every time I step on the gas pedel, and again every time I empty my wallet into the gas tank.

How do you want me to use it?

Well, still being a student...classes.

eratosthenes2 said:
Thought this would be an interesting topic.

so just in everyday life, what sort of stuff have you applied the tool K = 1/2 mv squared for?
Relativity theory homework problems.

Like Integral, say for instance when I see a traffic light turning red and there is a huge truck at high speed sticking to my tail, and the road is covered with snow.

Knowingly? Never.

humanino said:
Like Integral, say for instance when I see a traffic light turning red and there is a huge truck at high speed sticking to my tail, and the road is covered with snow.

No you dont. You think to yourself that truck is coming fast, I better get out of its way. You don't say omg think about the 1/2mV^2...

The truth is no one uses it outside the context of doing a calculation for something they are working on.

The only time I've ever used it outside of a pure calcuation was in understanding the stall characteristics and flight envelope of the airplane I fly by understanding the concept of 1/2mv^2 in terms of the airplane and the airflow.

The only time one would use it is to say, oh I see why this is behaving this way. Its due to the 1/2mv^2.

Cyrus said:
No you dont. You think to yourself that truck is coming fast, I better get out of its way. You don't say omg think about the 1/2mV^2...
That's not true seriously. I do think about it, whether you like it or not. I do take into account both the weight and the squared speed. It happened to me more than once. Well really, once with the snow, but several times this day ! I would never be confident in those consideration if I did not know the formula.

This reminds me of a joke I read some time back. A physics student was walking underneath a building under construction when a small brick fell from above and struck him senseless. He was rushed to the hospital. When he regained consciousness, he started to smile to himself, much to the worry of his family members visiting him. He explained, "Luckily kinetic energy is only half mv squared".

I used it a while back trying to solve the worlds energy crisis. pe = mgh = ke = 1/2 mv^2.

Recouping an automobile's kinetic energy in braking by converting it to potential energy turned out to be a not so wise solution.

Cars would have to be elevated to something like 50 feet in the air to store all that energy from 50 mph to zero.

I think it would make a good Dr. Seuss episode though. :smile:

humanino said:
That's not true seriously. I do think about it, whether you like it or not. I do take into account both the weight and the squared speed. It happened to me more than once. Well really, once with the snow, but several times this day ! I would never be confident in those consideration if I did not know the formula.

Well, then your weird my friend, not that there's anything wrong with that...

(PS, I don't know why you would think about that. I'd rather be thinking about F=mu*N (frictional braking), but hey.)

Cyrus said:
Well, then your weird my friend, not that there's anything wrong with that...
That's clear :-p
But you see, now next this happens, I'll think about the balance between F=mu*N and E=1/2 mv2, for sure. Thanks :biggrin:

Actually, when I'm driving I'll get pissed if the light changes on me and I have to slow down quickly because it wastes all that kinetic energy I had. The transients in driving is the most inefficient parts. I hate going 50mph and then have to come to a dead stop because the light changed on me quickly. I time it so when I know its going to turn red I let the car slow down via coasting so I only have to use the brakes very lightly to come to a dead stop.

But again, I am thinking 'energy' not '1/2mv^2'

Cyrus said:
Actually, when I'm driving I'll get pissed if the light changes on me and I have to slow down quickly because it wastes all that kinetic energy I had. The transients in driving is the most inefficient parts. I hate going 50mph and then have to come to a dead stop because the light changed on me quickly. I time it so when I know its going to turn red I let the car slow down via coasting so I only have to use the brakes very lightly to come to a dead stop.

But again, I am thinking 'energy' not '1/2mv^2'

Have I slipped into an alternate universe? I thought 1/2mv^2 was energy?

Ok. Don't mind me.

Did you ever notice that the m's cancel out in the two equations?

So bicyclists and runners would have to have some sort of Goldbergian scissor-jack devices installed in their frames and shoes to recoup their energies as well.

Gads I wish this question had not been asked...

Did I ever tell anyone about the time I figured out how many coil springs it would take to recoup an automobiles energy from 50mph to zero? It was not a pretty number.

But yes eratosthenes2, as I said before, I think about 1/2.., and many other equations all the time.

OmCheeto said:
Have I slipped into an alternate universe? I thought 1/2mv^2 was energy?

Ok. Don't mind me.

Did you ever notice that the m's cancel out in the two equations?

So bicyclists and runners would have to have some sort of Goldbergian scissor-jack devices installed in their frames and shoes to recoup their energies as well.

Gads I wish this question had not been asked...

Did I ever tell anyone about the time I figured out how many coil springs it would take to recoup an automobiles energy from 50mph to zero? It was not a pretty number.

But yes eratosthenes2, as I said before, I think about 1/2.., and many other equations all the time.

Please take a deep breath...

Cyrus said:
Please take a deep breath...

:smile: :smile: :smile:

sorry... :redface: I'll just tip-toe off to bed now...

1/2 m what?

I use it in bed

Related to In your own personal life, how often do you use this equation?

1. How often do you use equations in your personal life?

As a scientist, I use equations in my personal life quite often. Whether it's calculating measurements for a recipe or keeping track of my finances, equations are a useful tool for problem-solving.

2. Do you find yourself using specific equations more than others in your personal life?

It really depends on the situation. Some equations, such as the Pythagorean theorem, are more applicable to everyday life. However, I also use equations from my field of study, such as the ideal gas law, in personal projects or experiments.

3. How do you remember all the equations you've learned?

I don't necessarily have every equation memorized, but I have a strong understanding of the concepts behind them. I also have reference materials and tools, such as calculators, to help me when needed.

4. Are there any equations that you have found to be particularly useful or interesting in your personal life?

One equation that I find particularly useful is the compound interest formula. It helps me make financial decisions and plan for the future. I also find the quadratic formula to be interesting, as it has many real-world applications.

5. How important do you think it is for non-scientists to understand and use equations in their daily lives?

I believe it is important for everyone to have a basic understanding of equations and their applications. They are a fundamental part of problem-solving and critical thinking, which are skills that can be helpful in any profession or personal situation.