In-principle existence of which-way info

• Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Existence
In summary: The answer to the first question is that you should add first and then square. The answer to the second question is that you should square...etc.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
It seems to me that, although QM involves many mathematical constructs that are a bit daunting and may take a long time to master, this is not necessarily an insuperable barrier to the learner's progress.

What is perhaps more potentially confusing is, identifying all the subtle ways that "which-way" information may lurk in the system, unbenknownst to us.

How do the experts learn to identify all the ways in which "which-way" information may, in principle, be recorded in some corner of the apparatus, or encoded in some subtle property of the measurement results?

How could a rigorous algorithm be developed that would do this job automatically -- something that one could call a "which-way wizard" or a "distinguishability wizard?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that, although QM involves many mathematical constructs that are a bit daunting and may take a long time to master, this is not necessarily an insuperable barrier to the learner's progress.
That is correct - otherwise nobody would ever learn quantum mechanics.

What is perhaps more potentially confusing is, identifying all the subtle ways that "which-way" information may lurk in the system, unbenknownst to us.
Not really - by the time it is important, you'll get taught the correct concepts.

How do the experts learn to identify all the ways in which "which-way" information may, in principle, be recorded in some corner of the apparatus, or encoded in some subtle property of the measurement results?
Practice. You can verify different possible ways information of any kind may be hidden from you by constructing a model assuming the hidden information exists and comparing the results with experiment.

How could a rigorous algorithm be developed that would do this job automatically -- something that one could call a "which-way wizard" or a "distinguishability wizard?
I have a feeling Godel's theorem rules that out.
Basically we use "scientific method" to develop and discard models.
For the specific information you are talking about - the models are pretty well established.

See:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1404.6065

Likes bhobba
I suspect that none of the which-way arguments are really correct, because until a measurement is made, if the system is known, then the evolution is in principle reversible, so there cannot be any which way information extracted. Feynman's lectures do present quantum mechanics in this way, and I doubt it is truly correct.

As an example, a complicated experiment in which it is difficult to figure out what is happening by asking whether "which way" information has been obtained is found in http://arxiv.org/abs/1304.7469, Asking photons where have they been by Ariel Danan, Demitry Farfurnik, Shimshon Bar-Ad, Lev Vaidman. However, there should be a way to calculate the results in the standard formalism, and one proposal for such a standard calculation is http://arxiv.org/abs/1410.8454, Knowing "where the photons have been" by Karol Bartkiewicz, Antonín Černoch, Dalibor Javůrek, Karel Lemr, Jan Soubusta, Jiří Svozilík.

Likes zonde
Thanks for the replies! I shall look up the referred docs.
ST

I had to look up "which way information" to get an idea of what people seem to mean, jic ... I think we will end up needing to know what Swamp Thing is calling "which way information" to properly answer the question. What I could find relates it to the "strength" of the interference pattern (in 2-slit experiments) when some form of weak detection is imposed... and then you try to describe it in terms of information theory.

I did see that some people take this to mean that Nature knows "which way" and the pattern is related to how well we know "which way"... which implies that quantum interference is an artifact of the observer and we should look for a hidden-variables model (i.e. pilot waves) to explain it.
I would take this as incorrect, but it does seem persistent.

I suspect this sort of thing is more due to the minds insistence on understanding things in terms of classical trajectories.

Simon Bridge said:
I have a feeling Godel's theorem rules that out.
Do you mean, the art of classifying an experiment (or parts of it) in terms of distinguishability, lies outside the formalism of QM?

Simon Bridge said:
I suspect this sort of thing is more due to the minds insistence on understanding things in terms of classical trajectories.

Yes, but even serious scientists use this sort of language. So I think one must accept it as at least informally ok. However, as far as I understand, it isn't really formally correct, or at least I usually confuse myself completely if I try to use "which way" thinking.

Feynman:http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/III_01.html#Ch1-S7
http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/III_01.html#Ch1-S7

Aspect:
(51:17)

atyy said:
Yes, but even serious scientists use this sort of language. So I think one must accept it as at least informally ok. However, as far as I understand, it isn't really formally correct,

If "which way" is just a heuristic aid in thinking about experiment / set up, what is the rigorous way? Finally, the answer we want is something like, "should we add first and then square, or should we square first and then add" -- and there should be a way to decide this without any hand-waving.

Swamp Thing said:
If "which way" is just a heuristic aid in thinking about experiment / set up, what is the rigorous way? Finally, the answer we want is something like, "should we add first and then square, or should we square first and then add" -- and there should be a way to decide this without any hand-waving.

In addition to the treatment given by Bartkiewicz et al, you can also look at http://arxiv.org/abs/1007.3977, Demystifying the Delayed Choice Experiments by Bram Gaasbeek.

Swamp Thing said:
If "which way" is just a heuristic aid in thinking about experiment / set up, what is the rigorous way?

Th full mathematical theory as found in books like Ballentine.

Thanks
Bill

Related to In-principle existence of which-way info

1. What is meant by "in-principle existence of which-way info"?

The phrase "in-principle existence of which-way info" refers to the ability to determine the path or trajectory of a particle or object in a physical system. In other words, it is the theoretical possibility of knowing which path a particle takes without directly observing it.

2. Why is the in-principle existence of which-way info important in science?

The in-principle existence of which-way info is important in science because it allows for the study and understanding of complex systems and phenomena. By knowing the paths of particles, scientists can make predictions and explanations about the behavior of these systems.

3. How is the in-principle existence of which-way info determined?

The in-principle existence of which-way info is determined through various theoretical and experimental methods. These include mathematical models, thought experiments, and physical measurements using specialized equipment.

4. What are some examples of systems where the in-principle existence of which-way info is relevant?

The in-principle existence of which-way info is relevant in a wide range of systems, such as particle collisions, quantum systems, and chaotic systems. It is also relevant in fields like astronomy, where scientists use observations and data to infer the paths of celestial objects.

5. Are there any limitations to the in-principle existence of which-way info?

Yes, there are limitations to the in-principle existence of which-way info. In quantum mechanics, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and velocity of a particle simultaneously. This means that there will always be some uncertainty in determining the path of a particle, even in principle.