Improve Integration Skills: Solve \int (x^2+1)/(x-1)^2 dx with Expert Help

In summary, the OP was having difficulty solving a homework equation involving dx. They tried squaring the top and bottom, which yielded {x^{4} + 2x^{2} +1}/{x^{2} + 2x +1}. However, this did not seem to work and they were stumped. They then tried integrating x^2 + 1/x - 1, but this also did not lead to a solution. They were then introduced to u-substitution and were able to solve the equation with just a few steps.
erjkism

Homework Statement

[tex]\int(\frac{x^{2}+1 dx}{x-1}^{2})[/tex]

i tried to get 'dx' into the integral but it didnt work out

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have tried squaring the top and bottom, which gave {x[tex]^{4}[/tex] + 2x[tex]^{2}[/tex] +1}/{x^{2} + 2x +1}

i don't know if that was a good idea, but i was stumped. I can't seem to get anything to cancel out

Physics news on Phys.org
hm, I'm not quite sure what your problem is

[tex]\int(\frac{x^2 +1}{x-1})^2 dx[/tex]

is this correct?

yea that's it.

erjkism said:
yea that's it.
What integration technique are you learning at the moment? I'm just wondering so I can show you with that method.

btw, it should be x^2 - 2x + 1 in the denominator.

oh yeah you're right.
well, so far we've learned the fundamental theorem of calculus and ordinary U substitutions. i haven't gotten to the point of using special formulas for anything yet.

Wow. This problem is giving me trouble, I feel ashamed!

i have

[tex]\int\frac{(x^2 +1)^2}{(x^2 +1) -2x}dx[/tex]

but it's not leading me anywhere, argh.

rocophysics said:

i have

Hey, join the club!

I got it down to [tex] 1+ \int{\frac{x+1}{x-1}}dx [/tex] is there anything that can be done here... ?

...wait I think i forgot to square it :(

Yup:redface:

Last edited:
rocophysics said:

i have

Don't feel ashamed. Given what the OP said about the level of the course, this problem should never have been given before teaching partial fractions.

Eh, it's doable with u-substitution. I don't want to just hand out the answer, but square and do polynomial division. Then you get a quadratic that's easy to integrate and something involving a u substitution.

Dick said:
Don't feel ashamed. Given what the OP said about the level of the course, this problem should never have been given before teaching partial fractions.
Thanks! I was feeling kinda crappy, lol. I'm actually in Calculus 2 so I should be able to do this, but it wasn't working out for me with simpler techniques.

Mystic998 said:
Eh, it's doable with u-substitution. I don't want to just hand out the answer, but square and do polynomial division. Then you get a quadratic that's easy to integrate and something involving a u substitution.
Well, I didn't think that. Uh! That should definitely work.

Mystic998 said:

Good point. That's the other way to do it.

SOLVED! Now I''m happy :-] Thanks.

when i used polynomial division i got big mess:

(x^2)-2x+7+ [(12x-6)/((x^2)-2x+1)]

so i have to use a U sub. now?

Last edited:
erjkism said:
when i used polynomial division i got big mess:

(x^2)-2x+7+ [(12x-6)/((x^2)-2x+1)]

so i have to use a U sub. now?
from my polynomial division if i remember correctly, was different. let me re-do it real fast.

Polynomial division, let's do this part first so our Integration will work out.

[tex]\int\frac{x^4 +2x^2 +1}{x^2 -2x +1}dx=\int(x^2 +2x +5)+\frac{8x-4}{x^2 - 2x+1}dx[/tex]

Last edited:
k isee that lol I am an idiot. i haven't done it in a while. i get it. but what about the U sub?

k, I feel good about my Polynomial now.

so the u-sub ...

[tex]\int(x^2 +2x +5)+\frac{8x-4}{x^2 - 2x+1}dx[/tex]

now splitting it into two Integrals

[tex]\int(x^2 +2x +5)dx+\int\frac{8x-4}{x^2 -2x +1}dx[/tex]

so now doing a u-substitution only for the second Integral

[tex]\int\frac{4(2x-1)}{x^2 -2x +1}dx[/tex]

[tex]u=x^2 -2x +1[/tex]

now just take the derivative and you will need to mess around with the numerator a little more to get your du in your Integral.

Last edited:
thanks man i really appreciate it. sorry for making you type all that up lol, but i got a calc final coming up

erjkism said:
thanks man i really appreciate it. sorry for making you type all that up lol, but i got a calc final coming up
No problem! You'll do fine :-] And the typing was no biggy, it was mainly copy/paste :-]

rocophysics said:
k, I feel good about my Polynomial now.

so the u-sub ...

[tex]\int(x^2 +2x +5)+\frac{8x-4}{x^2 - 2x+1}dx[/tex]

now splitting it into two Integrals

[tex]\int(x^2 +2x +5)dx+\int\frac{8x-4}{x^2 -2x +1}dx[/tex]

so now doing a u-substitution only for the second Integral

[tex]\int\frac{4(2x-1)}{x^2 -2x +1}dx[/tex]

[tex]u=x^2 -2x +1[/tex]

now just take the derivative and you will need to mess around with the numerator a little more to get your du in your Integral.

Another possibility is to use the substitution:

[tex]u=x-1[/tex]

On the last integral rewritten as:

[tex]4\int\frac{2x-1}{(x-1)^2}dx[/tex]

I find this a bit easier. The different methods can be compared, all are equally valid.

Related to Improve Integration Skills: Solve \int (x^2+1)/(x-1)^2 dx with Expert Help

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the antiderivative of a function. It is the opposite of differentiation and allows us to find the original function when given its derivative.

2. Why is improving integration skills important?

Integration is a fundamental skill in many branches of science and engineering. It allows us to solve various problems involving rates of change, area under a curve, and many other applications. Improving integration skills can also enhance problem-solving abilities and critical thinking skills.

3. What is the general process for solving integrals?

The general process for solving integrals involves first identifying the function to be integrated, then applying integration rules and techniques to simplify the expression. This is followed by finding the antiderivative and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration (if applicable).

4. What is the best way to improve integration skills?

The best way to improve integration skills is through practice. Start with simple integrals and gradually move on to more complex ones. It is also helpful to understand the different integration rules and techniques and when to apply them. Seeking help from experts and using online resources can also aid in improving integration skills.

5. How can I solve \int (x^2+1)/(x-1)^2 dx with expert help?

Solving integrals like \int (x^2+1)/(x-1)^2 dx may require advanced integration techniques and may be challenging for beginners. Seeking help from an expert, such as a math tutor or instructor, can provide guidance and strategies for solving such integrals. You can also use online resources and practice problems to improve your integration skills and tackle more challenging integrals.