Images - character recognition

• Thread starter big man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Images
In summary, there are many programs available for character recognition in image files, with the biggest consumer being the postal service. Adobe Acrobat is one example, and the person speaking has found a couple more programs to check out.
big man
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if any of you knew if there have been any programs that have been written by people to perform character recognition in an image file. That is, you have an image of written text and you want to somehow recognise and extract characters. So for example, if you had an image of the letter 'S' is there the possibility that a program can be written to identify this character and then put it into a character array.

Cheers

Technology news on Phys.org
Yeah, there are, you know, hundreds of them. They're used all over the place. Probably the biggest consumer of such technology is the postal service.

- Warren

I use Adobe Acrobat.

Thanks for that! After much more searching I have found a couple of programs that I think do what I want them to do so I will check them out.

Related to Images - character recognition

1. What is character recognition?

Character recognition, also known as optical character recognition (OCR), is the process of converting images of printed or handwritten text into machine-readable text. This allows computers to interpret and analyze text in the same way that humans do, making it possible for them to recognize and understand characters.

2. How does character recognition work?

Character recognition works by using a combination of image processing, pattern recognition, and machine learning algorithms. The image is first preprocessed to enhance contrast and remove noise. Then, the characters are identified and segmented. Finally, the segmented characters are compared to a database of known characters to determine the most likely match.

3. What are the applications of character recognition?

Character recognition has a wide range of applications, such as digitizing documents, automating data entry, and improving accessibility for visually impaired individuals. It is also used in fields such as finance, healthcare, and transportation for tasks such as reading checks, medical forms, and license plates.

4. What are the limitations of character recognition?

While character recognition has advanced significantly in recent years, it still has some limitations. It may struggle with low-quality or handwritten text, as well as certain fonts or languages. It also requires a large amount of training data and may make errors if the text is distorted or has complex formatting.

5. How can character recognition be improved?

Character recognition can be improved by using advanced machine learning algorithms, increasing the amount and diversity of training data, and implementing post-processing techniques to correct errors. It is also important to ensure that the images used for character recognition are of high quality and that the text is clear and legible.