If θ is the angle between vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limiting value of θ when n→∞, where n is the dimension of the space and A and B are two given vectors. The formula used is A • B = ||A|| ||B|| cos θ, and after simplification, it is found that θ = cos^-1(√6/2 √n+1 / 2√2n+1). The final answer is pi/6, but the speaker is unsure of how to reach this result.
sponsoredwalk
Okay, here's a cool question I'm just not able to get:

If θ is the angle between vectors A = (1,1,...,1) & B = (1,2,...,n) then find
the limiting value of θ when n → ∞, where n is the dimension of the space.

Okay, I am using A • B = ||A|| ||B|| cos θ.

Since A = (1,1,...,1) we have ||A|| = √n.

Since B = (1,2,...,n) we have ||B|| = [itex] \sqrt{ \frac{n(n \ + \ 1)(2n \ + \ 1)}{6}}[/itex]

It follows that A • B = [itex] \frac{n(n \ + \ 1)}{2}[/itex].

If I work with [itex] \frac{A \ \cdot \ B}{||A|| \ ||B||} \ = \ \frac{ \frac{n(n \ + \ 1)}{2}}{ \sqrt{n} \ \sqrt{ \frac{n(n \ + \ 1)(2n \ + \ 1)}{6}}}[/itex]

I can simplify to get

[itex] \frac{A \ \cdot \ B}{||A|| \ ||B||} \ = \ \frac{ \sqrt{6} \ \sqrt{n \ + \ 1}}{2 \ \sqrt{2n \ + \ 1}}[/itex]

and so

[itex] \theta \ = \ \lim_{n \to \infty} \ \cos^{-1} \ ( \frac{A \ \cdot \ B}{||A|| \ ||B||} \ ) \ = \ \ \lim_{n \to \infty} \ \cos^{-1} \ ( \frac{ \sqrt{6} \ \sqrt{n \ + \ 1}}{2 \ \sqrt{2n \ + \ 1}} \ )[/itex]

But this isn't any better, I don't know where to go from here.

The answer is pi/6 but I don't know how to get it! Any idea's?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're almost there!

What is the limit of

[itex]\frac{ \sqrt{6} \ \sqrt{n \ + \ 1}}{2 \ \sqrt{2n \ + \ 1}}[/itex]

as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex]?

Related to If θ is the angle between vectors

1. What is the formula for finding the angle between two vectors?

The formula for finding the angle θ between two vectors, A and B, is given by: θ = cos^-1((A∙B)/(||A||∙||B||)), where ∙ represents the dot product and || || represents the magnitude of the vector.

2. How do I find the angle between two vectors if I know their components?

To find the angle θ between two vectors, A and B, with components (Ax, Ay, Az) and (Bx, By, Bz) respectively, you can use the following formula: θ = cos^-1((Ax*Bx + Ay*By + Az*Bz)/(√(Ax^2 + Ay^2 + Az^2)*√(Bx^2 + By^2 + Bz^2))).

3. Can the angle between two vectors be negative?

No, the angle between two vectors cannot be negative. It is always measured as a positive value between 0 and 180 degrees.

4. How is the angle between two vectors related to their dot product?

The angle between two vectors, A and B, is related to their dot product by the formula: θ = cos^-1((A∙B)/(||A||∙||B||)). This means that the dot product can be used to find the angle between two vectors.

5. Can the angle between two vectors be greater than 180 degrees?

No, the angle between two vectors cannot be greater than 180 degrees. This is because the dot product of two vectors is equal to the product of their magnitudes multiplied by the cosine of the angle between them. Since the cosine of an angle cannot be greater than 1, the angle between two vectors cannot be greater than 180 degrees.