If BC = 0 where B is invertible, show C = 0

• Thread starter sust0005
  • Start date
In summary, if B is invertible, then B DNE 0, and if B DNE 0 then the only way to have BC = 0 is to have C = 0. However, this is not always true as demonstrated by the example of matrices B and C where BC = 0 but neither B nor C is the zero matrix, showing that the statement "if B DNE 0 then the only way to have BC = 0 is to have C = 0" is untrue. This is because rings of matrices are not always integral domains, meaning that nonzero elements can have a product of zero. This concept can also be seen in other areas of mathematics, such as modular arithmetic.
sust0005
Isn’t it true that if B is invertible then B DNE 0, and if B DNE 0 then the only way to have BC = 0 is to have C = 0?

I'm not seeing (perhaps because I don't want to ;)) how the above is not always true. Can anyone show me an example proving me wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If B is invertible, then B-1 exists.

If you are given that BC = 0, multiply on the left of both sides by B-1. What do you get?

Yes, that I understand (and wish I would've put down on the final!), but what I don't understand is why my initial statement is untrue. That is, why is that not a valid proof that C = 0?

haha, I've seen thru the cloud of trying to convince myself I was correct. My error is now obvious!

Because you didn't use the given information that B is invertible.
For example, consider these matrices B and C.
[tex]B~=~\left[\begin{array}{c c}
0&1\\
0&0
\end{array}\right]
[/tex]

[tex]C~=~\left[\begin{array}{c c}
0&2\\
0&0
\end{array}\right]
[/tex]

For these matrices BC = 0, yet neither B nor C is the zero matrix.

Rings of matrices are not in general integral domains (even if the elements are drawn from a field), as Mark44 illustrated with an example. Thus, if you know that BC = 0 and B != 0, you can't conclude that C must be 0 as you would in an integral domain.

This is fairly common, so you should try to keep it in mind. It pops up in a lot of places; matrices are just one example. For instance, the ring of integers modulo 6 is not an integral domain since 2 and 3 are both nonzero but their product is 0 modulo 6. One can also find positive powers of nonzero elements that are zero. Once again using modular arithmetic for an example, the square of two is congruent to 0 modulo 4.

Related to If BC = 0 where B is invertible, show C = 0

1. What is the significance of BC = 0 when B is invertible?

The equation BC = 0 is significant because it suggests that the product of two matrices, B and C, is equal to the zero matrix. This can have implications for solving systems of linear equations and understanding the properties of invertible matrices.

2. How does the invertibility of B affect the value of C in the equation BC = 0?

If B is an invertible matrix, then it means that there exists an inverse matrix, B-1, such that B * B-1 = I, where I is the identity matrix. This means that in the equation BC = 0, C must equal the zero matrix in order for the equation to hold.

3. Can you provide an example of an invertible matrix B and a corresponding zero matrix C that satisfy the equation BC = 0?

Yes, for example, let B = [1 0; 0 2] and C = [0 0; 0 0]. Both B and C are square matrices of size 2x2, B is invertible, and when multiplied together, the resulting matrix is the zero matrix [0 0; 0 0].

4. How can the equation BC = 0 be used to solve systems of linear equations?

If BC = 0, then it can be rewritten as B-1 * BC = B-1 * 0, or C = 0. This can be useful when solving systems of linear equations represented in matrix form, as finding the inverse of B and multiplying it by the resulting zero matrix can help determine the values of the variables in the system.

5. Can you prove that C = 0 when BC = 0 and B is invertible?

Yes, since B is an invertible matrix, it has an inverse, B-1, and therefore the equation can be rewritten as B-1 * BC = B-1 * 0. By the properties of matrix multiplication, B-1 * B = I, and I * C = C. Therefore, we have C = B-1 * 0 = 0, proving that C must be equal to the zero matrix.