Identifying Symmetries of a Curve

In summary, the conversation focused on identifying the symmetries of the curve r = 8 + 7sinθ. The attempt at a solution involved testing for symmetry across the x-axis, y-axis, and origin, but ultimately concluded that the curve was only symmetric across the y-axis. The use of trigonometric identities or the unit circle was discussed as a way to prove that sin(##\pi## - θ) = sin(θ), which is necessary for showing symmetry across the y-axis. The conversation ended with a clarification on the difference between using identities and the unit circle to prove this concept.
whatlifeforme

Homework Statement

Identify the symmetries of the curve.

Homework Equations

r = 8 + 7sinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

x-axis: (r,-θ) ---> 8 + 7sin(-θ) = 8-sinθ (not equal to ) 8+7sinθ; not symmetric about x-axis.
y-axis: (-r,-θ) ---> -8+7sinθ (not equal to) 8+7sinθ; not symmetric about y-axis.
origin: (-r,θ) ---> r = -8-7sinθ (not equal to) 8+7sinθ; not symmetric about origin.

looking at the graph i know it is symmetric about y-axis, though, so what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
whatlifeforme said:

Homework Statement

Identify the symmetries of the curve.

Homework Equations

r = 8 + 7sinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

x-axis: (r,-θ) ---> 8 + 7sin(-θ) = 8-sinθ (not equal to ) 8+7sinθ; not symmetric about x-axis.
y-axis: (-r,-θ) ---> -8+7sinθ (not equal to) 8+7sinθ; not symmetric about y-axis.
origin: (-r,θ) ---> r = -8-7sinθ (not equal to) 8+7sinθ; not symmetric about origin.

looking at the graph i know it is symmetric about y-axis, though, so what am i doing wrong?
Writing r = 8 + 7sinθ as r = f(θ), the graph will be symmetric across the y-axis if f(##\pi## - θ) = f(θ).

can you please explain how to evaluate if f(θ) = f(∏-θ) ? i always get confused with this one.

I defined f(θ) = 8 + 7 sin(θ), so f(##\pi## - θ) = 8 + 7sin(##\pi## - θ) = ?

it must equal 8 + 7sin(θ) but I'm not sure how. are you using a trig identity?

You can use an identity, or you can use the unit circle. The identity would be sin(A - B) = sin(A)cos(B) - cos(A)sin(B). Hopefully, you have this one memorized.

i realize sin(θ) = sin(∏- θ) for values on in the interval 0<θ<pi by looking at the unit circle.

And using the difference formula, you can show that it's true for all real values of θ.

so the proof using sin(A-B) would be:

sin(∏-θ) = sin(∏) cos(θ) - cos(∏)sin(θ) = sin(θ)

0 - (-1)(sinθ) = sin(θ) --> sinθ=sinθ

I wouldn't do it that way. Here's what I would do:
sin(##\pi## - θ) = sin(##\pi##) cos(θ) - cos(##\pi##)sin(θ) = 0 * cos(θ) - (-1)sin(θ) = sin(θ)
This shows that sin(##\pi## - θ) = sin(θ).

Do you see how what I did is different from what you did?

yes. thanks.

Related to Identifying Symmetries of a Curve

1. What is symmetry in a curve?

Symmetry in a curve refers to the property of a curve where one half of the curve is a mirror image of the other half. This means that if a line is drawn through the curve, the two parts on either side of the line are identical or have a corresponding point on the other side.

2. How do you identify symmetries in a curve?

To identify symmetries in a curve, you can use the following methods:

• Graphical method: Plot the curve and check if it appears to be symmetrical.
  • Algebraic method: Use equations to check if the curve has any symmetrical properties, such as an even or odd function.
  • Geometric method: Use geometric principles, such as reflection, rotation, or translation, to check for symmetrical properties.

3. What are the types of symmetries in a curve?

The types of symmetries in a curve are:

• Line symmetry: Also known as reflection symmetry, where the curve is symmetric about a line.
  • Point symmetry: Also known as rotational symmetry, where the curve is symmetric about a point.
  • Translation symmetry: Where the curve can be shifted horizontally or vertically without changing its shape.

4. Why is it important to identify symmetries in a curve?

Identifying symmetries in a curve can help in understanding and analyzing the curve's properties and behavior. It can also aid in solving equations and making predictions about the curve's behavior.

5. Can all curves have symmetries?

No, not all curves have symmetries. Some curves, such as circles and ellipses, have multiple symmetrical properties, while others, like parabolas and hyperbolas, do not have any symmetrical properties. It is important to analyze each curve individually to determine if it has any symmetries.