I would appreciate some help with my geometry homework

In summary, a group of Japanese physicists are studying planar lines that are solutions to equations with fixed real coefficients a, b, and c. They need to know the formulae for the images of these lines under translation by a vector B, rotation about a point (x0,y0) by 180 degrees, and rotation about a point (x0,y0) by 90 degrees. The formulae for translation involve adding the vector B, while the formulae for rotation involve changing the coordinates of the point and then translating it back. It is recommended to use a combination of translation and rotation concepts to solve these problems.
carojay
2. A group of Japanese physicists works on a project where planar lines are in the form of solutions to equations
a⋅x+b⋅y+c=0
where a , b , and c are fixed reals satisfying a2+b2≠0 . They need to know formulae for the images of the line a⋅x+b⋅y+c=0 in the following cases:
1. Under the translation by a vector B=[u,v] ,
2. Under rotation about a point (x0,y0) by 180 degrees,
3. Under rotation about a point (x0,y0) by 90 degrees.
Please provide those formulae and a justification for them.

I know for number 1, you basically just add the vector B.
for 2 and 3 I do not know whether to use point slope form and just change the slope or if I need to change the coordinates to (-y,x) for 90 degree rotation and (-x,-y) for 180 degree rotation but those are for rotation about the origin and my problem does not state that. Does the slope for a 180 degree rotation go back to the same slope? I am really confused on which direction to take.

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework questions should be posted in the homework forum. ;)

Sorry! I'm new and I looked for that but couldn't find it!

carojay said:
I need to change the coordinates to (-y,x) for 90 degree rotation and (-x,-y) for 180 degree rotation but those are for rotation about the origin and my problem does not state that.

Why don't you use a combination of the things that you know. I think the point of the problem is that you know how to translate the line. Thus, you know how to move the point ##(x_0, y_0)## to ##(0,0)##. Next, you say that you know how to do rotation about the origin. You can apply that concept. Finally, you just have to translate ##(0,0)## back to ##(x_0, y_0)##.

Related to I would appreciate some help with my geometry homework

1. What specific topics in geometry does your homework cover?

Geometry covers a wide range of topics such as points, lines, angles, shapes, and spatial reasoning. It is helpful to know which specific topics your homework covers so you can focus on studying those concepts.

2. Can you explain the steps to solve a specific problem in my homework?

Sure, I would be happy to explain the steps to solve a specific problem in your geometry homework. It is important to understand the concepts and steps involved in solving a problem so you can apply them to similar problems in the future.

3. How do I check my answers to make sure they are correct?

One way to check your answers is to use a calculator or online tool to verify the calculations. Another helpful strategy is to go through the steps of the problem again to see if you get the same answer. You can also ask a friend or teacher to review your work and provide feedback.

4. Can you recommend any resources to help me with my geometry homework?

Yes, there are many online resources available such as video tutorials, practice problems, and interactive quizzes. Your textbook or class notes can also be helpful resources. If you are still struggling, don't hesitate to reach out to your teacher for extra help.

5. How can I improve my understanding of geometry concepts for future assignments?

One way to improve your understanding is to practice regularly and seek help when needed. You can also try teaching the concepts to someone else, as this can help solidify your understanding. Additionally, asking questions and actively participating in class can also aid in improving your understanding of geometry concepts.