I smoke. I like to lite cigarets with matches. It was long time since

• Thread starter Mihael@@/&
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Smoke Time
In summary, lighter than air particles are produced when you light a cigarette with a match. The particles rise due to the lower density of the hot air and carry the smoke with them.
Mihael@@/&
I smoke. I like to lite cigarets with matches. It was long time since today when I used lighter to light a cigarette. Smoke from the lighter, smoke from the cigar, also smoke of the matches was escaping gravitational pull. I never saw any research made on lighter (synonym) than gravity particles. Is there any?

Physics news on Phys.org

No there are no know anti-gravity particles, what you are seeing are lighter than air particles.

The hot air produced by a lighter and by your cigarette is less dense than the surrounding cooler air. This causes it to rise and it carries the particles of smoke with it.

I would still go about that it is worth to check gravity relation of particles for witch it is 'harder'' to leave the atmosphere.

''how hard'' it is for a certain particle to leave gravitational pull of a certain earth☻

Last edited:

Mihael@@/& said:
I would still go about that it is worth to check gravity relation of particles for witch it is 'harder'' to leave the atmosphere.

The only thing that would leave the atmosphere on its own is Helium. Hydrogen, the lightest element is too reactive and will form compounds that keep it in the atmosphere, and everything else is heavier than Helium or not a gas and will not escape. The particles of smoke will only rise so far before the air loses it's heat and eventually they will fall back down or get collected in rain or something like that.

so nothing can really escape gravity, not even partially?
there is no room for research?

You will not lose hair if you find mistakes only in others
(i found several for miself)

The only way to escape gravity is to provide a counteracting force.

Helium can escape the Earth because the buoyancy from the atmosphere allows it to do so.

Without a counteracting force (that is greater than the gravity) you cannot escape it.

Mihael@@/& said:

Gravity affects anything that carries mass/energy. It's just that often its effect is weak/negligible because the other forces present are simply stronger.

Mihael@@/& said:

Without a method of propulsion, like a rocket, an object must have a certain velocity to get out of the atmosphere and escape Earth's gravity. The heavier elements never attain that velocity because of their mass. Helium however is the 2nd lightest of all elements AND is extremely stable. It does not form compounds with other elements which would bind them together resulting in a much heavier molecule.

In addition, anything more dense than air will NOT rise high enough to escape the atmosphere anyways.

JaredJames said:
Helium can escape the Earth because the buoyancy from the atmosphere allows it to do so.
No, eventually it would get high enough for buoyancy to become irrelevant. It escapes because it has escape velocity because the velocity of the random motions is higher for lower mass molecules in air.

russ_watters said:
No, eventually it would get high enough for buoyancy to become irrelevant. It escapes because it has escape velocity because the velocity of the random motions is higher for lower mass molecules in air.

Well, you learn something new everyday.

Related to I smoke. I like to lite cigarets with matches. It was long time since

1. How does smoking affect my health?

Smoking has numerous negative effects on your health, including an increased risk of lung cancer, heart disease, and respiratory issues. It can also lead to decreased lung function and decreased overall health.

2. Is using matches to light cigarettes more harmful than using a lighter?

Both matches and lighters produce similar levels of harmful toxins when lighting a cigarette. However, matches may release more carbon monoxide, which can be harmful in large amounts.

3. Can smoking cause addiction?

Yes, smoking can cause addiction due to the nicotine found in tobacco products. Nicotine is a highly addictive substance that can lead to dependence and withdrawal symptoms when trying to quit.

4. How long does it take for the effects of smoking to show up?

The effects of smoking can vary from person to person. However, some immediate effects, such as increased heart rate and blood pressure, can be felt within minutes of smoking a cigarette. Long-term effects, such as lung cancer, may take years to develop.

5. Can secondhand smoke be harmful to others?

Yes, secondhand smoke can be harmful to others as it contains many of the same toxins as direct smoking. It can increase the risk of lung cancer, respiratory issues, and heart disease in non-smokers who are exposed to it on a regular basis.