I can't believe I am not getting this, shell method

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a solid formed by rotating the area bounded by two functions around the x-axis. Two different integrals are presented and it is concluded that the second one is correct, as it represents a "cone" shaped solid. The first integral may represent a negative volume due to incorrect signs of the terms.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Let's say I have the area bounded by [tex]y_1 = \sqrt{x}[/tex] and [tex]y_2 = x^2[/tex] in (0,1). Rotate that about the x-axis, find that volume of solid.

The Attempt at a Solution

Which one is right?

[tex]\int_{0}^{1} \pi (x^2 - \sqrt{x})^2 dx[/tex]

[tex]\pi \int_{0}^{1} x^4 - x dx[/tex]

I think the second integral is right because it uses washeres?

If the second integral is wrong, what is the meaning of the first integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
The second is the correct one.
The first maybe be... something like a "cone" shaped solid whose radious is [itex]y_1(x)-y_2(x)[/itex]

I think you have the signs of the terms in the second integral reversed. The square root of x is larger than x squared on the interval from 0 to 1. If you evaluate your integral, you get a negative volume.

Related to I can't believe I am not getting this, shell method

What is the shell method?

The shell method is a technique used in calculus to find the volume of a solid of revolution. It involves slicing the solid into thin cylindrical shells and adding up their volumes.

How is the shell method different from the disk method?

The shell method and the disk method are two methods used to find the volume of a solid of revolution. The main difference between them is the shape of the slices used to approximate the solid. The shell method uses cylindrical shells, while the disk method uses circular disks.

When is the shell method typically used?

The shell method is typically used when the axis of rotation is parallel to the axis of integration. This means that the slices used to approximate the solid are perpendicular to the axis of rotation.

What are the steps for using the shell method?

The steps for using the shell method are as follows:1. Identify the axis of rotation.2. Set up the integral using the formula for the volume of a cylindrical shell.3. Determine the limits of integration.4. Integrate the function with respect to the axis of rotation.5. Evaluate the integral and factor in any constants or units.

What are some tips for using the shell method effectively?

Some tips for using the shell method effectively are:1. Draw a clear and accurate diagram of the solid of revolution.2. Choose the correct axis of rotation.3. Make sure the limits of integration are correct.4. Use symmetry to your advantage.5. Practice and check your work to avoid errors.