I am Clueless about source controls

Also, check if there are any alternative solutions or ways to improve the current system before making any suggestions for a change.
inotyce
My company uses MS TFS for source controlling and I find this really difficult because we have to code on VMs (log on VMs and handle the code in TFS). I would like to make a suggestion to change this into SVN using command line or Tortoise GUI tools. But the client seems not to let publicly seen its software code. As you might know, coding through VMs is odd because it is really slow (GUI graphics drawn and redrawn). Thank you for any ideas.

Technology news on Phys.org
Is the issue of TFS vs SVN one of speed or do you just personally find it harder to use? If that's the case (and there are no others on the team who agree) then you might want to simply dedicate some time to getting better with it. If it's an issue where you can gather some quantifiable data to show quicker usage or something like that, then gather it on your own and present it in a coherent and persuasive manner.

Talk to colleagues and supervisors and see if they feel the same as well.

Related to I am Clueless about source controls

1. What is a source control?

A source control, also known as version control, is a system used to track and manage changes to a project's codebase. It allows multiple developers to work on the same codebase simultaneously, keeping track of any changes made and allowing for easier collaboration and organization.

2. Why is source control important?

Source control is important because it helps ensure the integrity and stability of a project's codebase. It allows for easy collaboration among team members, as well as the ability to revert back to previous versions of the code if needed. It also helps with project management and organization, as all changes and updates are tracked and documented.

3. What are the different types of source control?

There are three main types of source control: centralized, distributed, and cloud-based. Centralized source control stores all code in a central repository, with developers making changes directly to the codebase. Distributed source control allows developers to have their own local copy of the codebase, making changes and then syncing with the central repository. Cloud-based source control is similar to distributed, but the central repository is stored in the cloud, making it accessible from anywhere.

4. How do I choose the right source control for my project?

The type of source control you choose will depend on the needs of your project and your team. Consider factors such as the size of your team, the complexity of your project, and the need for collaboration. It may also be helpful to research and test out different source control systems to see which one works best for your specific project.

5. Are there any best practices for using source control?

Yes, there are several best practices for using source control. These include regularly committing changes, using descriptive commit messages, creating and using branches for different features or tasks, and regularly pulling and pushing changes to the central repository. It's also important to communicate and coordinate with team members to avoid conflicts and ensure smooth collaboration.