Hydraulic scissor lift using syringes

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of syringes in creating a hydraulic lift. The question is posed regarding the most effective combination of syringes for maximum displacement, and whether a scissor lift would work properly. The response suggests using 3cc units for activators and a 50cc for pumping, and mentions that a 50cc actuator can lift over 130 lbs. The context of the project is also mentioned, with a desired platform height of 1.2 m and the weight being of little importance.
samyakg891
I m making a hydraulic lift using syringes (piston and cylinder mechanism). can anyone suggest the combination of syringes for maximum displacement. will the scissor lift work properly?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Sam
You might have to be a bit more specific about your question. For one thing, you haven't mentioned the scale of this thing.
If I were to build one, on a table-top device, I'd go with 3cc units for the activators and a 50cc to pump them up. That's just me, though; I love overkill.
For bigger scale, I don't know. From experience having played with these things, I can say for certain that a 50cc used as an actuator can lift over 130 lbs.. (I know because I was the load.)

The assembly should be kept in a cube of 300 mm side (excluding input). it should have to lift a platform up to 1.2 m. Weight doesn't matters for me as its a light weight.

Related to Hydraulic scissor lift using syringes

1. How does a hydraulic scissor lift using syringes work?

The hydraulic scissor lift using syringes works by using the principle of Pascal's Law, which states that pressure applied to a confined fluid is transmitted equally in all directions. In this case, the syringes act as the confined fluid and when one syringe is compressed, the pressure is transmitted through the connecting tubes to the other syringe, causing it to expand and raise the platform of the lift.

2. What materials are needed to build a hydraulic scissor lift using syringes?

The materials needed to build a hydraulic scissor lift using syringes include syringes, connecting tubes, a platform, a base, and a support structure. You may also need additional materials such as wood, screws, and glue to construct the support structure and base of the lift.

3. How much weight can a hydraulic scissor lift using syringes lift?

The weight capacity of a hydraulic scissor lift using syringes will depend on the size and number of syringes used, as well as the strength and stability of the support structure. Generally, it is recommended to use larger syringes and a sturdy support structure for heavier loads.

4. Can the height of the lift be adjusted?

Yes, the height of the lift can be adjusted by controlling the amount of fluid in the syringes. As more fluid is added, the lift will extend and raise the platform higher. Similarly, removing fluid will cause the lift to lower.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using a hydraulic scissor lift using syringes?

Yes, it is important to use caution when operating a hydraulic scissor lift using syringes, as it involves the use of pressurized fluids. Make sure to properly secure all materials and avoid overloading the lift. It is also recommended to wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when handling the syringes and other materials.