How to understand Domain Convention

In summary: If somebody could please advise if I am understanding the above correctly or not would be much appreciated as I can't get this from my coursebook because there is no worked examples or explanations.Thanks[/quote]Yes, that is correct.
Casio1
I keep reading through the course textbook but no matter how many times I read it I just can't see the understanding of it?

There are activities asking me to solve problems, and I have a book of exercises to do, but the main book supposed to be designed to give some information to the student to gain an insight into understanding is somewhat very poorly presented(Headbang)

What seems to be very confusing to me at the moment is the interpretation of the notation used.

example.

If y = x^2, then

x is the input, which is then processed to become x^2.

So y(x) = x^2 I think?

y is the function

x is the domian

x^2 is the rule

Have I got this right so far?

if

f(x) = x^2 + 1 (0 < x < 6)

I understand inequalities so this does not require explaining, but in this example the domain is (x), the rule is x^2 + 1, and the inequalities in brackets with real numbers are used in (x) are they?

f(0) = 0^2 + 1, or

f(6) = 6^2 + 1, or is it 0 < 6 in other words the domain can be any number between 0 to 6 used in the rule?If somebody could please advise if I am understanding the above correctly or not would be much appreciated as I can't get this from my coursebook because there is no worked examples or explanations.

Thanks
(Sadface)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Casio said:
I keep reading through the course textbook but no matter how many times I read it I just can't see the understanding of it?

There are activities asking me to solve problems, and I have a book of exercises to do, but the main book supposed to be designed to give some information to the student to gain an insight into understanding is somewhat very poorly presented(Headbang)

What seems to be very confusing to me at the moment is the interpretation of the notation used.

example.

If y = x^2, then

So y(x) = x^2 I think?

y is the function

x is the domian

x^2 is the rule

if

I understand inequalities so this does not require explaining, but in this example the domain is (x), the rule is x^2 + 1, and the inequalities in brackets with real numbers are used in (x) are they?

f(0) = 0^2 + 1, or

f(6) = 6^2 + 1, or is it 0 < 6 in other words the domain can be any number between 0 to 6 used in the rule?
I think if you would post a problem using its exact wording with the exact set of instructions, then we can help you work through it.

Thank you but I do need to clarify some basic understanding of the notation of the subject first, although I appreciate I created a long thread previously I will try to shorten it.

Now that I have had some basics explained to me on another thread entitled "Understanding Functions" I can now understand what the title of this thread now means.

By example;

g(x) = sqrt x

The function of g has the domain {0, infinity) since sqrt x is defined only for x > 0

The x which is a variable would only represent a positive number since we cannot take the square root of a negative number, therefore x must be 0 or more than and cannot be negative.

Now I understand where {0, infinity} comes into it because x cannot be less than 0, but could be any number above 0.

Do you all agree.

Casio said:

example.

If y = x^2, then

So y(x) = x^2 I think?

y is the function
Yes, that is correct.

x is the domian
No, x is the "variable". The general rule is that unless something specific is said (like "[itex]0\le x\le 6[/itex]" later) the domain is all values of x for which the operations involved are defined. Here, the only operations are "square" and "add 1" which can be done for all numbers.

x^2 is the rule
Yes.

if

f(0) = 0^2 + 1, or

f(6) = 6^2 + 1, or is it 0 < 6 in other words the domain can be any number between 0 to 6 used in the rule?If somebody could please advise if I am understanding the above correctly or not would be much appreciated as I can't get this from my coursebook because there is no worked examples or explanations.

Thanks
(Sadface)
I addressed this in your other post.

Related to How to understand Domain Convention

1. What is a domain convention?

A domain convention is a set of rules and guidelines used to organize and manage internet domain names. It is a standardized way of naming and identifying websites and email addresses.

2. Why is it important to understand domain convention?

Understanding domain convention is important for several reasons. It helps to ensure that websites and email addresses are unique and easily identifiable. It also allows for easier navigation and management of internet resources. Additionally, adhering to domain conventions can help prevent confusion and errors when communicating online.

3. What are some common domain conventions?

Some common domain conventions include using the prefix "www" for websites, using the "@" symbol to separate the username and domain name in email addresses, and using top-level domains (TLDs) such as .com, .org, or .edu to indicate the purpose or location of a website.

4. How do I choose a domain name that follows convention?

To choose a domain name that follows convention, you should start by selecting a TLD that best represents your website's purpose or location. Next, choose a unique and easily recognizable name for your domain. It is also important to avoid using special characters or spaces in your domain name, as these can break convention and make it difficult for users to access your website.

5. What are some consequences of not following domain convention?

Not following domain convention can lead to confusion and errors when trying to access or communicate with a website or email address. It can also make it difficult for users to remember or find your website. In some cases, not following convention may also result in penalties or restrictions from domain registrars or internet service providers.