How to treat negative integer factorial function?

In summary, to calculate the negative integer factorial function, you can use the formula n! = (-1)^n * |n|!, where n is the negative integer. This function is only defined for negative integers and cannot be extended to non-integer values. By convention, 0! is equal to 1 and (-1)! is undefined. The negative integer factorial function has similar properties to the positive integer factorial function and has many applications in mathematics, such as in combinatorics and probability. It is also used in the development of advanced mathematical concepts, such as the gamma function.
dongsh2
Dear all,

How to deal with negative integer factorial functions? I mean what expression formula can be substituted for this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't believe there is one. The Gamma function is the analytic continuation, but it has poles at the negative integers.

Likes bhobba
The first thing you would have to do is define this "negative factorial function". Where did you find a reference to a "negative factorial function"? If this was given in some text exercise how was the negative factorial function defined?

Related to How to treat negative integer factorial function?

1. How do I calculate the negative integer factorial function?

To calculate the negative integer factorial function, you can use the formula n! = (-1)^n * |n|!, where n is the negative integer. For example, to find (-5)!, you would use the formula (-5)! = (-1)^-5 * |(-5)|! = -1 * 5! = -120.

2. Can I use the negative integer factorial function for non-integer values?

No, the negative integer factorial function is only defined for negative integers. It cannot be extended to non-integer values.

3. What is the value of 0! and (-1)!?

By convention, 0! is equal to 1. (-1)! is undefined as it is not a negative integer.

4. What are the properties of the negative integer factorial function?

The negative integer factorial function has similar properties to the positive integer factorial function. For example, (-n)! = (-1)^n * n! and (-n)! = (-n+1)! / (-n) for all negative integers n.

5. What is the significance of the negative integer factorial function in mathematics?

The negative integer factorial function has many applications in mathematics, such as in the study of combinatorics and probability. It is also used in the development of advanced mathematical concepts, such as the gamma function.