How to solve this inequality involving a 4th root?

• Thread starter PhizKid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with solving an inequality involving a 4th root term and a binomial. The suggested solution is to expand the 4th root as a binomial or Taylor series and solve the inequalities separately. The final solution is -0.368935 < x < 0.677669.
PhizKid

Homework Statement

[tex]\sqrt[4]{2x + 1} - 0.1 < \frac{1}{2}x + 1 < \sqrt[4]{2x + 1} + 0.1[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble getting just an 'x' by itself in the middle because of the 4th root. How should I solve this inequality? I tried everything but always end up with something to the 4th power after expanding 4 binomials.

(Solution: -0.368935 < x < 0.677669)

Physics news on Phys.org
PhizKid said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\sqrt[4]{2x + 1} - 0.1 < \frac{1}{2}x + 1 < \sqrt[4]{2x + 1} + 0.1[/tex]

I'm having trouble getting just an 'x' by itself in the middle because of the 4th root. How should I solve this inequality? I tried everything but always end up with something to the 4th power after expanding 4 binomials.

(Solution: -0.368935 < x < 0.677669)

I would think about expanding ##\sqrt[4]{1+2x}## as a binomial or Taylor series with error estimates.

Try to solve the inequalities separately.

[tex]\sqrt[4]{2x + 1} < \frac{1}{2}x + 1.1 [/tex]
[tex]\sqrt[4]{2x + 1} > \frac{1}{2}x + 0.9 [/tex]

ehild

Related to How to solve this inequality involving a 4th root?

What is inequality and why is it a problem?

Inequality refers to the unequal distribution of resources, opportunities, and privileges among individuals or groups in a society. It is a problem because it can lead to social and economic disparities, creating barriers for individuals to reach their full potential and hindering overall societal progress.

What are the causes of inequality?

There are many factors that contribute to inequality, including historical and systemic biases, unequal distribution of wealth and resources, discrimination based on race, ethnicity, gender, and socioeconomic status, and lack of access to education and opportunities.

How can we solve inequality?

Solving inequality requires a multifaceted approach that addresses the root causes and promotes systemic change. This can include implementing policies that promote equal access to education, healthcare, and job opportunities, addressing discriminatory practices and biases, and promoting economic equality through fair taxation and wealth distribution.

What role does education play in reducing inequality?

Education plays a crucial role in reducing inequality by providing individuals with the knowledge and skills needed to succeed in life. It can also promote social mobility by providing opportunities for individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds to improve their socioeconomic status.

What can individuals do to help reduce inequality?

Individuals can help reduce inequality by educating themselves and others about the issue, supporting policies and organizations that promote equality and social justice, and actively working to challenge and dismantle discriminatory attitudes and practices in their communities.