How to Solve Non-Linear Second Order Differential Equations?

In summary: Differential Equations again :(Differential Equations again :(In summary, Differential Equations again :( the equation is not linear and the characteristic equation is r2 - r = 0. r = +/- sqrt(r)??
Unto
Differential Equations again :(

y'' - y' = 0

How would I go about solving this? All I know is that the equation is not linear..

Physics news on Phys.org

It is linear. The characteristic equation is r2 - r = 0.

so r = +/- sqrt(r)??

What am I supposed to do with it?

EDIT

Wrong equation. The actual question is:

y'' - 2y = 0

Is this linear? And how to solve?

I don't know this because my lecturer sucks and she just reads notes, I don't have a clue.

No, no, no! How do you usually solve a quadratic equation?

Well, you have a book don't you? Surely your book lays out a way to solve differential equations like this. And even if not, surely your class notes do?

What do they say the definition of linear is here?

Well I'm sorry if I suck at maths. I think 90% of maths is complete rubbish but I have to do it anyway. I study Physics so I have to do this. I look at my notes, all I see is some jerk wanking off with an equation but not explaining why he is doing what he did.

And I'm going to magically understand this how?

Please help I am begging you I won't sleep tonight

And this equation is not linear because I have a second derivative :/

y'' = [tex]d^2y/dx^2[/tex]

This is a quadriatic equation?

Unto said:
EDIT

Wrong equation. The actual question is:

y'' - 2y = 0

Is this linear? And how to solve?

I don't know this because my lecturer sucks and she just reads notes, I don't have a clue.
This is a linear differential equation as well. The characteristic equation this time is r2 - 2 = 0. If you can solve this equation, we can go from there. If you can't solve this equation, you're probably going to have a very difficult time in this class, especially now that you have shared with us your opinion about math.

Unto said:
And this equation is not linear because I have a second derivative :/

y'' = [tex]d^2y/dx^2[/tex]
What you have here is two ways of writing the same thing, similar to writing 2x = x + x or
[tex]y'~=~dy/dx[/tex].

Unto said:
so r = +/- sqrt(r)??

What am I supposed to do with it?

When you solve and equation for a particular variable, you end up with a new equation with that variable on only one side, and what it is equal to on the other. You haven't solved for r in your equation above.

Mark44 said:
No, no, no! How do you usually solve a quadratic equation?

Mark44 said:
This is a linear differential equation as well. The characteristic equation this time is r2 - 2 = 0. If you can solve this equation, we can go from there. If you can't solve this equation, you're probably going to have a very difficult time in this class, especially now that you have shared with us your opinion about math.

r = +/-sqrt(2)

OK, now we're making progress. Now that you have the roots of the characteristic equation, the general solution will be all linear combinations of two functions: er1t and er2t, where r1 and r2 are the numbers you found.

By linear combinations, I mean y = Aer1t + Ber2t. All you need to do is to put in the two numbers and you're done.

You can check that what you get is a solution by calculating y'' - 2y. You should get 0.

What would A and B be?

And If I want to check the solution, all I do is differentiate my y equation and equation to y''?

A and B can be any real numbers. Yes differentiate y to get y', then differentiate again to get y''. It should be the case that y'' - 2y is identically equal to 0.

Ok I'm beginning to get this. Thank you.

Unto said:
Well I'm sorry if I suck at maths.
I wasn't criticizing your math skills -- I was criticizing your research skills. You don't have to know everything off the top of your head -- a big part of being good at math (or any other subject) is, if you don't know a bit of information, knowing how to find that information.

I'm assuming you have a book, or at least a set of prepared notes. A book is a valuable resource! If nothing else, knowing where to find information in your book is something that will be very valuable after a year goes by and you forget the details of solving.

If you really don't have a book and prepared notes and all you have is the notes you take in class, well, then you're at a disadvantage. :frown:

Mark44 said:
This is a linear differential equation as well. The characteristic equation this time is r2 - 2 = 0.
Hey guys,
Apologies for jumping in randomly, but where did this come from? How did this arise from y''-2y = 0?

The OP started off with y'' - y' = 0, then realized he had given the wrong problem, which was actually y'' - 2y = 0.

Related to How to Solve Non-Linear Second Order Differential Equations?

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that represent the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are used to model various physical, biological, and economic systems.

2. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they allow us to make predictions and understand the behavior of complex systems. They are also a fundamental tool in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, chemistry, biology, and economics.

3. How do you solve a differential equation?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, depending on the type and complexity of the equation. Some common techniques include separation of variables, the method of undetermined coefficients, and variation of parameters.

4. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have a wide range of applications, including predicting the motion of objects in physics, modeling population growth in biology, and analyzing economic systems. They are also used in engineering to design and optimize systems.

5. Can differential equations be solved analytically?

Some differential equations can be solved analytically, meaning a closed-form solution can be found. However, in many cases, numerical methods must be used to approximate the solution. This is especially true for complex or non-linear equations.