How to Put an Angstrom Symbol in Microsoft Equation Editor

• Thread starter tony873004
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbol
In summary, the symbol for Angstrom, a capital A with a little circle over it, is a Swedish/Finnish letter and can be found in the symbol menu in Microsoft Word. It is also listed among the "normal" characters and can be copied and pasted from the character map. It is not a Greek symbol and is not included in the Equation Editor Help. However, it may be listed in a different order in the Danish and Norwegian alphabets. The Å is pronounced like an "o" and the Ö is similar to a German letter. Some French words, such as "Ambiguïté" and "noël", also use the symbol.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm trying to put an Angstrom symbol into a microsoft Word document. It's a capital A with a little circle over it. But what is that character called? It's not a greek symbol, I don't think.

Does anyone know how to put it in Microsoft Equation Editor, or even what it's called so I can look it up in the Equation Editor Help (it doesn't contain the word angstrom)

Physics news on Phys.org
You can just copy it from Windows' character map.

It's a Swedish/Finnish letter. There's three different letters in the Scandinavian alphabet: Å å, Ä ä, Ö ö.

I suppose you could just copy and paste it out of this post.

In my version of Word, if you go into the symbol menu, it's right among the "normal" characters, just a few after the regular alphabet ends.

thanks everyone. I've got it now!

ek said:
It's a Swedish/Finnish letter. There's three different letters in the Scandinavian alphabet: Å å, Ä ä, Ö ö.

I suppose you could just copy and paste it out of this post.

Minor correction: only the Swedish and Finnish alphabets have the the additional letters ÅÄÖ. The Danish and Norwegian have other characters för Ä and Ö (I also believe they list them in a different order).

The Å is pronounced much like an "o", by the way.

Ö and ö are essentially German...

Daniel.

And how does that interfere with the fact that in the Scandinavian languages, only the Swedish and Finnish alphabets contain Ö?

It doesn't.I felt like someone which knows zip about German language/alphabet might think the character would be encountered in Finnish and Swedish only,fact which is UNTRUE...

Daniel.

BTW,the French use the "¨" as well.But not on "o"...

Daniel.

I am trying to think of a word in french that has an "umlaut" in it...hmmm...

"Ambiguïté" and "noël" perhaps?

Related to How to Put an Angstrom Symbol in Microsoft Equation Editor

1. How do I access the Angstrom symbol in Microsoft Equation Editor?

In Microsoft Equation Editor, you can access the Angstrom symbol by clicking on the "Symbols" tab and selecting "Greek and Coptic" from the drop-down menu. The Angstrom symbol will be located under the "Letterlike Symbols" section.

2. Can I insert the Angstrom symbol into an existing equation in Microsoft Equation Editor?

Yes, you can insert the Angstrom symbol into an existing equation by clicking on the location where you want to insert the symbol and then following the same steps outlined in question 1.

3. Is there a keyboard shortcut for inserting the Angstrom symbol in Microsoft Equation Editor?

Unfortunately, there is no default keyboard shortcut for the Angstrom symbol in Microsoft Equation Editor. However, you can create a custom shortcut by going to the "Insert" tab, selecting "Symbol", and then clicking on "Equation Options". From there, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to the Angstrom symbol.

4. Can I change the size or font of the Angstrom symbol in Microsoft Equation Editor?

Yes, you can change the size or font of the Angstrom symbol by selecting the symbol and then using the formatting options in the "Home" tab. This will allow you to change the font, font size, and other formatting elements of the symbol.

5. Is the Angstrom symbol the same as the nanometer symbol in Microsoft Equation Editor?

No, the Angstrom symbol (Å) represents a unit of length, while the nanometer symbol (nm) represents a unit of distance. They are not the same symbol and cannot be used interchangeably.