How to pump liquid from vacuum to atmosphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a wiped film evaporator and the need to pump liquid from the discharges to a larger vessel for continuous operation. The individual is seeking advice on the best pump types to use in this application, as well as thoughts on the function of a gooseneck shaped pipe on a gear pump that has been seen in use. The main concern is preventing atmosphere from leaking into the vacuum and causing cavitation. The suggested solution is to use low speed, positive displacement pumps and a good check valve in the system.
ekajsemaneht
Greetings,

The application is a wiped film evaporator (~1.2-1.5 kg/hr throughput). The concentrate and the distillate gravity feed round bottom flasks. I'm not worried about the cold-trap waste. The evaporator volume is under vacuum (~0.003Torr).

I want to pump the liquid from the discharges to a larger vessels for continuous operation. My experience is only with pumping fluids from atmosphere, or positive head, to a higher pressure. In the configuration that I want, there is a risk of atmosphere leaking into the vacuum. I'm just wondering what the state of the art is... I know there are methods. In fact, I've seen a jacketed, spur gear pump doing it. However, rather than buying something I'd rather piece components together myself.

Finally, on the gear pump I've seen - the discharge had a gooseneck shaped pipe. I wonder if this isn't acting as a type of manometer preventing atmosphere from bubbling in.

Any tips on pump types that are used in this application would be great. Also, any thoughts on the gooseneck outet pipe.
WFE video snap.JPG

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you might be right about the function of the gooseneck.
When operating at very low pressures, cavitation (essentially boiling of the liquid) is going to be your biggest enemy, so low speed, positive displacement pumps are probably the only ones that will be reliable.. and of course you'll want a good check valve in the system as well.

Hopefully someone else has some more specific experience

Likes ekajsemaneht

Related to How to pump liquid from vacuum to atmosphere

1. How does a pump work?

A pump uses mechanical or electrical energy to create suction or pressure, which moves the liquid or gas from one location to another. This is achieved through the use of impellers, rotors, or pistons.

2. What are the different types of pumps?

There are several types of pumps, including centrifugal pumps, positive displacement pumps, and jet pumps. Each type has its own unique mechanism for moving fluids and is used for different applications.

3. How does a vacuum pump work?

A vacuum pump removes air and other gases from a sealed space, creating a negative pressure or vacuum. This is achieved through the use of a vacuum chamber and a mechanism to remove air, such as a rotary vane or diaphragm pump.

4. Can a pump handle both liquid and gas?

Some pumps, such as positive displacement pumps, can handle both liquids and gases, while others are designed specifically for one or the other. It is important to choose the right type of pump for the specific application and type of fluid being pumped.

5. What are the challenges of pumping liquid from vacuum to atmosphere?

One of the main challenges is maintaining a consistent flow rate and pressure, as the liquid is being moved from a low-pressure environment (vacuum) to a higher-pressure environment (atmosphere). This requires careful selection of the pump and its components, as well as proper maintenance and monitoring.