How to prove this trig equation

• Thread starter mohlam12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with two questions, one involving proving a relationship between cos(3x) and cos(x).(4cos^2(x) - 3), while the other asks for the values of sin(pi/10) and cos(pi/10). The speaker is unsure how to solve the second question without using a calculator and is seeking input from others.
mohlam12
hey
i have a problem with composed with two questions:
first i havr to prove that
cos(3x)=cos(x).(4cos^2(x) - 3)
okay, for this one, I was able to prove it; then the second question came, saying:
what is sin(pi/10) and cos(pi/10)
i don't know how to do that, but it should be related to the question before, how!? i don't know!
anyone with something to say ... ??
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
From the information you have provided it seems like all you need to do is evaluate the sin and cos at [itex] \frac \pi {10} [/itex]

but i can't use the calculator... because the second question doesn't say CALCULATE, in fact, it says NOTE from the previous question what sin and cos pi/10 is!

x = [itex]\frac \pi {10} [/itex]
[itex]3x = \frac \pi {2} - 2x [/itex]

Last edited:

Related to How to prove this trig equation

1. How do I prove a trig equation?

To prove a trigonometric equation, you will need to use trigonometric identities and properties. You can also use algebraic manipulation and substitution to simplify the equation and show that both sides are equal.

2. Can I use a calculator to prove a trig equation?

No, you cannot use a calculator to prove a trig equation. Proving a trigonometric equation requires mathematical reasoning and manipulation, and using a calculator would not demonstrate a thorough understanding of the concept.

3. What are some common trig identities used in proving equations?

Some common trigonometric identities used in proving equations include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities. It is important to have a good understanding of these identities in order to effectively prove equations.

4. What are some tips for proving trig equations?

Some tips for proving trigonometric equations include starting with the more complex side of the equation, using substitution to simplify expressions, and being familiar with common identities. It is also helpful to practice and review basic algebraic manipulation techniques.

5. Can I use a graph to prove a trig equation?

No, a graph cannot be used to prove a trigonometric equation. Graphs can help visualize and understand trigonometric functions, but they cannot be used as a substitute for mathematical proof.